Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about Wheel Liners for Kit Car (Fiero)

Question about Wheel Liners for Kit Car (Fiero)

Greetings! I have an 87 Fiero that's been built as an 85 Testarossa. Recently, my car started vibrating heavily so I decided not to risk driving it and brought it to the shop. Well, good thing I did because as they went to drive it into the bay, the bolts to the rear wheel spacer snapped off. Thankfully, the only thing damaged aside from the spacers and bolts was the wheel liner (Driver's side rear). I've ordered the new spacer and bolts, but I'm struggling to find the a replacement liner. It's flat and looks either custom or very generic (Like someone bent a piece of wheel liner plastic and just screwed it in and made some cuts and adjustments). I can get photos of it if needed, but I guess my question is where could I find generic wheel liners or how would I go about measuring them to find one that fits? (I'm assuming because of the kit that the rear wheel arch dimensions are larger than the standard Fiero one)

Might sound a bit jank, but I know some people fabricated them using plastic garbage cans.

Glad you and the car are ok; could have been a LOT worse!

GrillMe,
    ABS plastic sheet is a wonderful thing for this and many other applications. A black textured on one side 4x8 sheet 1/8 thick should be just under $50 at any plastics supply. It can be cut, rolled, and bent with sheet metal tools or hand tools. Also, it is easily vacuum formed but without that fancy equipment, a hand held heat gun works just fine. It is also available in colors and other sizes and thicknesses.

@76mx Awesome. I'm thinking that's what it might have been. I took some photos. Let me know if it looks familiar or like what you mentioned!

https://imgur.com/a/wsGa4

Yep, that is it! I can tell by the slight pebble texture characteristic.

I have a Testarossa based on an 88 GT. The front liners on mine are the OEM Fiero. The rear liners appear to be galvanized sheet steel, cut and screwed into the frame, then the gap between liner and outside body/fiberglass is covered with black RTV/silicone or similar. Functional I guess.

The company I bought my door poppers from also sells wheel liner / tubs for hot rods and trucks, so they can be dropped and air-bagged, or have massively wide tires installed. If the ABS idea doesn't work, that's another option. Not sure how much the price difference would be either direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbdo View Post
    I have a Testarossa based on an 88 GT. The front liners on mine are the OEM Fiero. The rear liners appear to be galvanized sheet steel, cut and screwed into the frame, then the gap between liner and outside body/fiberglass is covered with black RTV/silicone or similar. Functional I guess.

The company I bought my door poppers from also sells wheel liner / tubs for hot rods and trucks, so they can be dropped and air-bagged, or have massively wide tires installed. If the ABS idea doesn't work, that's another option. Not sure how much the price difference would be either direction.
    Thanks a lot Drewbdo! What's the name of the company? I'll look into it and figure out what the best approach is.

GrillMeACheese,

They are called AVS. Located in Cali, and mostly provide stuff for air ride / air bag suspension. Really good service, quick replies to my questions. I would buy from them again.

Here's a link to their sheetmetal wheel tubs... https://www.avsontheweb.com/notch-covers/

@Drewbdo Appreciate the reply, but it definitely is no sheet metal. These are interesting though. Gonna bookmark it for future thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by 76mx View Post
    GrillMe,
    ABS plastic sheet is a wonderful thing for this and many other applications. A black textured on one side 4x8 sheet 1/8 thick should be just under $50 at any plastics supply. It can be cut, rolled, and bent with sheet metal tools or hand tools. Also, it is easily vacuum formed but without that fancy equipment, a hand held heat gun works just fine. It is also available in colors and other sizes and thicknesses.
    Right on, I buy this stuff in 8 foot sheets. has many uses. My supplier sells it under the brand 'PALIGHT' pvc sheet. A local sign shop is also a good souce for this stuff.-Vinny
    Remember, there is always next year.