Thread: widening fiero rear suspension

widening fiero rear suspension

Having trouble finding wheels for my f40 kit, ive heard of some folks making the rear suspension sit wider w new control arms n axles. Somebody make a kit? Whats the way to go about this? its built on a 86 fiero. Pics on pennocks general chat under operation turd polish

shem

As far as I know, there's really only one aftermarket supplier of widened Fiero suspension components for the early cars. Be prepared for sticker shock though:
    https://www.arrautmotorsports.com/kit-car-suspensions

For axles, there are a lot of threads on Pennocks that go into great detail about which off-the-shelf axles can be used to increase your track width. The driver's side axle is usually a simple swap, but the passenger side is more difficult to lengthen if you have a manual transmission. The stock manual transmission passenger-side Fiero axle is already the longest axle in GM's inventory. People have figured out ways to increase the width just the same, by mounting a fixed jackshaft to the side of the engine, and using a shorter CV jointed axle-shaft out to the wheel. Some engines even have mounting bosses for a jackshaft, though expect a fair bit of fabrication since nothing fits the 2.8L engine directly. Look up Fieroguru's or my own build thread for ideas if you need to go the jackshaft route, though he has an LS engine and I have a Northstar. Lots of custom fabrication.

If you do use a jackshaft, and have troubles finding the correct length axle to bridge the new distance, you can cut down and respline a Fiero passenger side axle, but they're getting to be rarer than hen's teeth. If you're going to go this route, then '95 Dodge Caravans have the correct diameter passenger side axle rods and they're even splined properly on one end. It would mean that you'd have to swap the tripot joint and CV joint from the Fiero axle onto the Caravan axle rod after you've had the rod cut down and resplined. I've done this several times to get a custom axle length at a local machine shop for about $75. It's another $50 for the used part at the junk yard.

Checking it out I think the jackshaft is the way to go. Thanks for the info and cool build thread- i always loved the f355

shem

The best way, and safest way would be to have new axles made. RCV Performance based in Illinois does custom axles. We have been the only aftermarket supplier of control arms, and a-arms for the past few years.