Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 512TR build

Quote Originally Posted by jb1 View Post
    Blooozberry , Going with hardwood floors in this one?? If rain holds off I am going to clean out my kit and take plenty of pics and post them up... i am really unsure how i feel about the flat floor,,, adds troubles of where to put fuel cell.. I really hate to put fuel cell up front as I would like to make filler door on side functional..
    Hardwood... LOL. Too slippery with my woolen socks.

So it has a flat floor? Why would anyone do that? First, you need a center console anyway, and second, the tunnel is a MAJOR structural member. Hopefully the rockers have been designed to take up the bending loads. As for a gas tank, if the fore-aft space permits, you could always check into a firewall mounted tank a la 308/F348/F355. I'd post a photo but haven't figured out how ever since Photobucket screwed everyone. Just Google F355 Fuel Tank images. I'm pretty sure there are similar tanks available for hot rods/early pick ups that are much cheaper.

I was thinking your old shop had hardwood. Lol.. it does have reinforced rockers.. I will add more cross bracing underneath if needed.. or even find a junker and rewelded the tunnel back in as would hate to have to transfer body to another with all the work that is done on this one.. if I stay transverse the tank could go against fire wall but not sure that is an option going longitude..

My original account t it working now..

Quote Originally Posted by Jbrown View Post
    I was thinking your old shop had hardwood.
    You weren't wrong... that's still the case for the main workshop. The new garage is only for daily drivers so it gets cement floors. Don't want to waste oak under an SUV and a pickup... LOL.

Here are couple more pics, A lot of work has gone into making the floor pan like an original 512 with only a partial console... I am not looking to make an exact replica , so A. I will rebuild a console and try to add bad some structural strength or B. look into adding an X brace under the car,, With the work in the back done already I would rather redo the bad parts over removing body for a new car..

2017-11-09_04-18-39 by audioman1998, on Flickr
    2017-11-09_04-18-29 by audioman1998, on Flickr
    2017-11-09_04-17-25 by audioman1998, on Flickr
    2017-11-09_04-18-19 by audioman1998, on Flickr
    1987 Fiero GT 3800sc
    1985 Fiero GT Northstar
    1985 Fiero GT 3800

rockers add structural support , just not sure if it is enough with the center console gone,, Doors do rub a little but i will have to get it on a level surface in shop to make sure if it is from flex or panel adjustment,, I believe a lot of the issue is adjustment..
    2017-11-10_06-31-35 by audioman1998, on Flickr
    1987 Fiero GT 3800sc
    1985 Fiero GT Northstar
    1985 Fiero GT 3800

Quote Originally Posted by Jbrown View Post
    ...or B. look into adding an X brace under the car...
    I don't think an X brace is going to help. Removing the center tunnel weakens the chassis in bending, and an X brace won't contribute much to restore that. What you do have going for you is that the roof structure looks intact, and depending how the new rockers were anchored to the chassis, you may be OK.

They seem very stable.. but once I get it in shop I will be able to look further into it.. I still believe it is a good start and even with corrections a long way further than starting over on a new chassis..

Senior Member ITALIANKNIGHTRIDER's Avatar
    this car was built in Ontario ,CA ,by three guy with separate shops, but building cars together in 1 shop ......Creative Coach , Custom Toys , and the other was exotic coach craft. the center console and floor area was removed and a ladder style bracing system from side to side and front to back was installed ,where the console was ,it,s very strong ,try jacking the car up on one side it will pick up the whole side ,we purchased 3 of these cars from them and the last deal for the 4th body went very bad.

http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/ge...questions.html
    In the USA if you pay a company / person to start a plug, then it,s your plug and work ,it is not theirs to sell or trade !!

Thanks IKR, I figured someone here would know something about it.. unfortunately the link you provided I could not load any pics.. and from what I had searched I had figured it to be a Creative Coach Body , guess I wasn't to far off.

Nice, I'm looking forward to checking in on your build thread. Unfortunately I don't check the forum as often as I used to and the next time I check you'll probably be done.