Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 512TR build

Senior Member CHRISTOPHE de France's Avatar
    Hello everyone,

Below a picture that Jerry Dorr had sent me, from his superb TR.
    The rear reinforcements in tube at the rear cover, seem identical.

I will follow that for my restoration in France.
    See you soon.

Last edited by CHRISTOPHE de France; 11-12-2017 at 10:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CHRISTOPHE de France View Post
    Hello everyone,

Below a picture that Jerry Dorr had sent me, from his superb TR.
    The rear reinforcements in tube at the rear cover, seem identical.

I will follow that for my restoration in France.
    See you soon.
    try using something other than photobucket, your pic does not show up..

Senior Member CHRISTOPHE de France's Avatar
    Hello
    Thanks for the information.
    I corrected.

See you soon

Does look a lot like the mine.. I want to get the body pulled and get chassis blasted and cleaned up real well, before much done to body..

Unfortunately it has not been reinforced much more than under the rockers and not really tied into the front to well...
    As well as the back half is done I really find this very disappointing..
    The car seems pretty solid but I will have to add more bracing just for my comfort and piece if mind .

Figured I would find info here. Found several pics.. cars was owned by Bondo bob, jdorr2002 ??? And whoever else...
    Last edited by Jbrown; 12-02-2017 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jb1 View Post
    Unfortunately it has not been reinforced much more than under the rockers and not really tied into the front to well...
    As well as the back half is done I really find this very disappointing..
    The car seems pretty solid but I will have to add more bracing just for my comfort and piece if mind .
    Unless you plan on cutting the roof off, you don't really need to reinforce the cockpit. The Fiero structure is very solid.

Bob
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

Quote Originally Posted by RCR View Post
    Unless you plan on cutting the roof off, you don't really need to reinforce the cockpit. The Fiero structure is very solid.

Bob
    Well, the original Fiero structure is very solid, but this chassis has had the B-pillars essentially removed and the centre tunnel removed. That combination could weaken the chassis in bending far more than simply cutting off the roof.

For it to regain some of the same bending rigidity as the original chassis, the new C-pillars would have to tie the roof channel above the doors to the upper frame rails, structurally. I faced the same issue on my F355 and believe I accomplished that with my modifications. Scroll down to post #95 here for an example: https://bloozeown.weebly.com/chassis...bay-structures

Then, since the centre tunnel provided the lion's share of bending resistance along the bottom of the car, the rockers would have to be beefed up to regain what was lost. Yarmouth Fiero covered that best here: http://www.ns355.ca/rocker-reinforcement.html

The centre tunnel also acts as a torque box connecting the two cross car structures (one behind the cockpit which interconnects the lower frame rails (where the fuel tank hose is hidden inside) and the other that interconnects the lower frame rails just ahead of the cockpit). Regaining the torsional rigidity lost as a result of removing the centre tunnel might be challenging. I'm not sure what the sense in doing that was. Interior aesthetics over structure?

Just as Bloozeberry stated the b-pillars have been removed and steel framing been added for the quarters to be see through ..the gas tank tunnel has been removed.. so I worry about the removed strength from that.. if it was just the B pillars I would not be as concerned..

CHRISTOHPE de france,
    the pic Jdorr sent you is the car that is in my possession now,,,