Thread: I know... but it's fun. Reviving Power Wheels - Volume 4

I know... but it's fun. Reviving Power Wheels - Volume 4

Hello Everyone,

So... unsure when this project will lift off the ground and I will be posting pics asap of the new project to be, but I have acquired yet another power wheels.

This time, it's a quad or for those who prefer a more traditional name... a 4 wheeler.

My daughter is growing up fast and my sluggishness to obtain batteries to re-power the dust collecting vehicles taking up space in my garage has gotten to the point where the Jeep I customized for my daughter has been sitting unused for the bulk of our ownership of the vehicle.

Functionally, it's ready to rock... but without a battery... it's useless... Which the same applies to her Mustang and my sons F150...

So you can imagine the look on my wife's face when she saw the 4 wheeler now sitting in front of my garage. lol

So here is the issue. I know my kids have maybe one, perhaps 2 more years before they outgrow these toys. So I need to get on the ball here.

The plan is to have my kids sit in their vehicles to see if they have indeed outgrown them. My son is the biggest worry as I think he has fully outgrown his F150... but we'll see.

I think my daughter my have outgrown the Jeep I redid for her so that means she will have her pick of three vehicles if my son can't drive the truck anymore.

I really don't have space for all four vehicles... So that means something has to go. The Jeep may be on the chopping block unfortunately... so that leaves the F150, Mustang and the new addition to the lineup, the quad.

Seeing as I think she would fit on all three... it comes down to me deciding which one or two she would keep and I think it would come down to keeping the quad and the mustang.

So, I'll have details and images up as soon as I can and I'll post on which vehicles are staying and which are going soon as well.

Stay tuned!!
    It's a never ending battle of making your cars better and also trying to be better yourself. - Dale Earnhardt Sr

Well, as promised, here is the link to the google album containing the quad / 4 wheeler I will be refurbishing soon.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/z1Ko1U8jMW3LgE7Y2
    It's a never ending battle of making your cars better and also trying to be better yourself. - Dale Earnhardt Sr

So I have started coming up with a plan of attack on this thing.

Well, first things first, I need to clean it up and remove all the current stickers. They are all sort of done as this thing has spent a lot of time outside in the elements.

I am sort of liking the yellow imitation rims. So I am considering just clear-coating them to add some shine and deepen the color a bit. This technique worked on the Jeep I did when I took the Jeeps imitation tail lights which were faded and added clear to them. They shinned up, the color red popped and they looked brand new. So I am going to see if the same will happen on the 4 wheeler wheels.

If that works, I am going to change the color of the body by tying it into the wheels and making the paint scheme yellow and black. Maybe another satin black with gloss yellow. More canary than banana.

From there I will Chrome paint the imitation engine to make it stand out more. Just think the detail on it looks cool and the chrome will make that stand out especially with a black and yellow body.

The imitation drive train leading back to the rear wheels I am going to use what I call a mistake. Chrome it first then clear coat the chrome. This tarnishes the chrome and makes it look more like polished aluminum.

This part may change but I am either going to paint the imitation shocks red, yellow or see if I can find the rubber gasket that normally goes on shocks, get them in either red or yellow and somehow wrap them onto the imitation springs to make them look more real. We'll see what works out there.

I think I want to actually cushion the seat somehow. Like a real seat instead of the plastic. As painting it with her sitting on it wont work, it will just rub off... but I am considering getting some foam, glue and vinyl and cover the seat. I have never done this before, but I think I could manage it. But again, we'll see what happens when I get to this point.

Toying with the idea of sticker gauges, or real gauges. If real... I would like to light them up, they dont have to gauge anything or move, although that would be cool if they did... but I think that may be overdoing it. If the lit up that would be good enough in my book.

I'll make the key work as an on off switch so she feels like she is actually turning on the bike. Easy enough to do to add in a relay that will cut and reconnect the power.

Add in some cool LED lighting for the front and rear. I am going to test having two strops of red LED's on the rear of the bike. When it's moving only one strip will light and when she stops, both will light, like the breaks are pressed. May even work in a toggle switch to turn the lights on and off.

Then to wrap it all up, grab some matching Suzuki stickers, pluck them on and wallah. Refurbished power wheels quad.

All this is subject to change of course, but I will chronicle the process just as I did with the truck and the Jeep. Hopefully due to the size and openness of the bike, this project wont take as long as the others... but, I don't want to say it will be a quick job because that always comes back to bite me.

Spoke to a buddy of mine concerning the lighting and gauge cluster idea I had.

He said he knew of a way to connect the gauges to the system in the bike to make the needles move or fluctuate as the bike was being driven. Given the illusion that they were functional gauges.

So I can't wait to do that. But I need to find gauges that won't break the bank and will work in the bike. So a bit more research will need to be done before approaching this idea.

The LED lights are pretty straight forward, but I am certain now I will have a day/ night switch or on/ off switch for the lights. The good thing is that the dash has some fake button area's that are going to be perfect for replacing with functional switches to work the lights.

As I mentioned before, I am going to make the fake key for the bike functional for turning the bike on and off. No sounds. Jut power wise.

That leaves one button location that I have yet to figure out what to do with. I thought about a horn... but not really settled on that yet.

There is an imitation CB hand radio... non functional. Simply connected by a string and a molded plastic hand unit on the end. It's ratty looking and useless.. So I am thinking of two possible outcomes here.

Option 1.) The cheap option. Cut it off and throw it away and decide if I want to put something else there... or not.

Option 2.) A little cost and time involved. So we start off doing the same as Option 1. Removing the imitation CB handset and string. Find a childs Walkie Talkie, Make a connector to attach it to the bike similar to the way the CB radio connects to the dash now. Secure it with a new wire or string. Something that looks better I suppose.

The idea on Option #2 is to give her a functional imitation CB on the bike using walkie talkies. Child ones are cheap enough to replace so if it breaks and new one is needed, I can simply detach the old handset and replace it with a new one.

I like the idea, but I need to research that one a bit more as well.

I'll keep those of you who are interested posted. As soon as I get time, I am going to dismantle the bike and begin cleaning it up and removing all the stickers to prepare for the new paint. I am going to get a fine grit sandpaper to score the body so the paint adheres better. I have had great results with both plastidip and Plastic-oat. Only difference here is that I will place clear coat over the paint job this time and use a heat gun to bake the paint to make it a bit more durable for play.

In other words... still in the planning stage. But work is soon to begin.

Stay tuned!

So it seems I can get some decent dirt bike gauges that will work for my purposes. I think I canpick up a pair of them within 15 to 20 dollars. So that's not terrible.

Haven't settled on a specific set yet, but I am waiting to see how much money I can put towards the project first.

Also, a member of my church said he may be able to help me in padding the seat. He has some foam we may be able to attach and shape and then I would just need a good cover that would hold up. So I am happy about that.

So it seems like I am developing a small work crew to help me customize this power wheels bike. lol

I'll bring updates as I am able.

Stay tuned!!