Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheetah inspired build

The first nose was pulled from the mold yesterday. The body mold is almost complete. I should have a body within 2 weeks. Finally!

That's a good lookin' part! Plug looks stellar as well....AND the frame....just WOW! on the entire project.

Keep the updates coming. Any pics of your mold? Some of the seams are visible, but being involved with mold making, I'd be interested in seeing your mold, I'm sure it's a beautiful thing to behold! The lines of that body are simply gorgeous!

My molds are finally done. I have 2 noses out. The first body tub came out today. I'll have a second one this weekend. It's been 2 years to get to this point. Fortunately the hard part is done.

I'm going to do my car is some color of Red. I think the Blue is to closely associated with the Cobra. Here is a photo shop of the car in the mock up process in Red. I will be leaning the windshield a little more rearward for the final build.

Quote Originally Posted by TDW View Post
    That's a good lookin' part! Plug looks stellar as well....AND the frame....just WOW! on the entire project.

Keep the updates coming. Any pics of your mold? Some of the seams are visible, but being involved with mold making, I'd be interested in seeing your mold, I'm sure it's a beautiful thing to behold! The lines of that body are simply gorgeous!
    Thank you for your comments TDW. I'll take some pictures of the molds when I pick up the bodies this weekend. I have molds in the past and made my own bodies but I'm older and wiser now. I'm having that work done for me!

I picked up 2 bodies today and my plug/frame. I was able to get everything into my 24ft trailer. (Just barely!)
    It's been 2 years since I started on this. My son will be home on college break next Saturday. We are going to work together to build it. Having fun.

Those look great! If you don't mind my asking, who is doing your glass work? (layup-mold making etc.)

Looking forward to your build thread!

been following along myself. I am really interested to see this project in its completed form It has a really great look and I love the flow of the body. I am sure your going to have a number or people confuse it with an old Ferrari or Cobra but that will be half the fun because the number conversations that's going to strike up. lol
    It's a never ending battle of making your cars better and also trying to be better yourself. - Dale Earnhardt Sr

Quote Originally Posted by TDW View Post
    Those look great! If you don't mind my asking, who is doing your glass work? (layup-mold making etc.)

Looking forward to your build thread!
    Thank you very much. I'm using a guy by the name of Jack. He's in Warren, RI. 401-787-3290. He's been there for 25 years. The place is jammed packed floor to ceiling with everything he's accumulated over that time. Every time I go there I suggest that we hire some people and clean the place.

The molds were all apart when i was there so I didn't get pictures. They are pretty straight forward molds. I do like where he placed the parting seams.

Quote Originally Posted by G35Mike View Post
    been following along myself. I am really interested to see this project in its completed form It has a really great look and I love the flow of the body. I am sure your going to have a number or people confuse it with an old Ferrari or Cobra but that will be half the fun because the number conversations that's going to strike up. lol
    Thank you for your comments Mike. I've been drawing this basic car shape since I was a little kid. It's the fulfillment of a lifetime dream to have one to drive. I have built several cars in the past. I've never been completely happy with the results. I am happy with this one. I like the fact that no one will know what this car is.

When I started this project I thought that I would modify a body shell that I bought and build my car. I got carried away with the modifications and ended up with a plug, not a usable body. My son and a friend of mine said that they wanted one. Since i needed to have molds made it was going to be easy enough to get more bodies. I ended up building a jig for my frame. Now I have the ability to reproduce the parts that are unique to me.

I've decided to offer a basic component kit for the car. This is for fun and I'm doing it as a hobby. I've filed for the Trademark "Chesnut Wildcat". My car shape was inspired by the Cheetah. Calling it a Wildcat keeps it in the Big Cat family but doesn't infringe on the Bill Thomas families intellectual property.

My Chesnut Wildcat package will include the 2 piece body, unpainted frame, aluminum skins for the frame, steering components, and coil over shock brackets for the introductory price of $6800. (limited time introductory price. Regular price is $7900.)

I see my car as a great alternative to the Cobra for Chevy guys. C4 Corvette suspension bolts is. Any SBC or LS engine bolts in. The windshield is from an MGB.

I'm starting on a second frame today. Next week I'll start the build of my car. I'm having fun.
    Last edited by jm14; 12-06-2018 at 08:11 AM.

That's an amazing story. Something to consider, when it's done, perhaps start a blog about the birth of the Chestnut Wildcat (love the name by by the way). I would most def purchase and build one if I had the time and money. Going to school full time, working full time, being married and a father of two little ones in grade school does not allow the time or money for such a project. Perhaps one day... But what has me hooked on this now is that you have concocted this car from being so young and now there it is coming to life in front of your eye's. As a fellow creative artist I can tell you I have dreamed of the very same thing with a multitude of my work... but uh, let's just say yours had a better chance of coming into this world than any of mine. lol

Keep having fun with this, I wish you much success and look very much forward to all the updates. Keep them coming!
    It's a never ending battle of making your cars better and also trying to be better yourself. - Dale Earnhardt Sr