Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to kits

New to kits

I'd like to know the proper way to move the headlights forward on the 355 spider warlock/ifg kit for the fiero. I've saw one you tube video but I'd like to hear it from someone that's done it. Also,any advice on the build is appreciated. Car is a stock 87 fiero. I understand it'll need stretched too. I do have the support to go under the car as well.

Welcome to the forum Jack. I'm in the process of building an IFG F355 as well, and although I haven't gotten around to the headlights yet, I can point you in the right direction if you're looking for pop-ups like the original car. Send a PM to a guy here on Mad Mechanics who goes simply by the name "Don". He crafted molds for the F355 headlight buckets and doors, and may still make them. He'll be the best source for how to go about installing them.

For more overall info about the IFG kit and what to look for, you should browse the body section in my blog here: https://bloozeown.weebly.com/body

For more info about how to properly strengthen a Fiero with the roof cut off, check out NS355's spyder build here: http://www.ns355.ca/

Most of the other kits you'll read about here on MM are Air Dynamics (AD355) body kits. They're considerably different, and much better quality. Depending how much work has already been done to your body kit, it would be well worth considering reselling your IFG kit and buying an AD355 instead.

I have the buckets. They came in my kit. I've got nothing in this kit. Maybe $200,car and all. So,I'll deal with it. I'm not a kit car guy. Only took it to build and resell only. I just want to know how much I have to cut off the front to get the kit headlights to fit right. I appreciate the links. I'll look at them. I have a guy guiding me on this and he told me to come here for guidance as well. So thank you. Right now I'm looking at all aspects before I really begin. Its going to be a budget build. I know y'all say budget and its like 8-20k but mines going to stay low to keep profit high. Quality work, just nothing extravagant. Like tubular framing and all the attention to detail inside the car too. I'm going to stretch it,do things right,get the front right,swap in a 3.8,widen the rear and call it a day after paint. I understand how to paint them as well. I'm a car guy,just not a kit guy....yet.

My ifg kit seems really straight forward. Stretch the rear 6in and widen it 4in and e redo the headlights. That's it. My body lines aren't bad. I'm not concerned it doesn't match a Ferrari exactly either.

Quote Originally Posted by TattooJack View Post
    My ifg kit seems really straight forward. Stretch the rear 6in and widen it 4in and e redo the headlights. That's it. My body lines aren't bad.
    If I were you, I'd do a bit more research before spending any more money on it. For starters:

-the chassis gets stretched 3" not 6";
    -the convertible will flex and twist like a fish out of water without major reinforcements done properly... ie not just an X frame under the floor pan;
    -the suspension needs a minimum 3" lowering front and back and widening 3" per side in front and 4" per side in the back;
    -you can use spacers in the back but not in the front, which means redesigning the front suspension;
    -the body will take several hundreds of hours of prep for it to come close to lining up;
    -you'll need new wheels and tires because the Fiero's are too small for the fender openings;
    -etc, etc...

You're starting with the poorest quality kit there is, and you're looking to zip it together quickly for resale. You can take or leave my advice, but you had best stay under $4000 out of pocket to build it because you won't get much more than that on a sale. And that's only if the donor car's frame isn't rusted out at the back end, the interior isn't worn out, the car actually runs, and has a V6. Expect less for anything different. Again... do your research... a pig with lipstick is still just a pig.
    Last edited by Bloozberry; 12-27-2017 at 08:27 AM.

Well he says your one to listen to..so OK then.

If you are in it to make money you chose a wrong kit period. You will spend too much money and time and won't get it back when re-selling it because they are really cheap completed. I sold mine years ago and made some profit but now I see them on craigslist completed for less than 10k. Trust me, if you plan on doing the swap and all that it will cost you more than you are anticipating and you will end up losing money. I don't mean to discourage you, I wish I had someone give me this advice when I just got into the kit cars. The only ones that go for a little more are the ones that are so spot on with completed interior, foldable top, original wheels, wide track suspension etc etc. I suggest you wait and save money and always search craigslist for a good deal. I've seen some that were almost completed go for like 5k even. If you want to make money look for unfinished projects that people don't have time or experience to complete.

I didn't pick this kit. I just bought it because it was so cheap. Im selling it and moving on. I have no desire to build it. I'll make more money not touching it than I would assembled. I'll find something else that doesn't require 15k to get on the road. Thank you both for your help.

There's a reason you got it basically for free... you've made the right decision. These kits aren't an investment, they are about the love of labour, nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloozberry View Post
    If I were you, I'd do a bit more research before spending any more money on it. For starters:

-the chassis gets stretched 3" not 6";
    -the convertible will flex and twist like a fish out of water without major reinforcements done properly... ie not just an X frame under the floor pan;
    -the suspension needs a minimum 3" lowering front and back and widening 3" per side in front and 4" per side in the back;
    -you can use spacers in the back but not in the front, which means redesigning the front suspension;
    -the body will take several hundreds of hours of prep for it to come close to lining up;
    -you'll need new wheels and tires because the Fiero's are too small for the fender openings;
    -etc, etc...

You're starting with the poorest quality kit there is, and you're looking to zip it together quickly for resale. You can take or leave my advice, but you had best stay under $4000 out of pocket to build it because you won't get much more than that on a sale. And that's only if the donor car's frame isn't rusted out at the back end, the interior isn't worn out, the car actually runs, and has a V6. Expect less for anything different. Again... do your research... a pig with lipstick is still just a pig.
    Hi i was reading your reply. I have a lamborghini lp640 replica. I do have spacers on back and front. And after doing research my car turns so poorly and so hard to turn. My donor is a 86 fiero gt And people were saying becasue of the front spacers. How much do you think it will cost to put wide track suspension for the front? Trying to figure out how much i need to spend
    Heres a video of my car
    https://youtu.be/Y9ZAjRYV5j4