Thread: WTB: Time on a small 3D scanner

WTB: Time on a small 3D scanner

Anyone have or know of a resource that can scan a door handle I have and put it into a SolidWorks type file for me?

I'm looking to print my door handles on my most recent project but don't think my drawing and more importantly, measuring skill is good enough to get it dimensionally correct within a few tries!

I have the base part I'm looking to have scanned. Obviously I'm not looking to pay mega millions to have it done...

Thanks for any leads!

Munky

MK, The lead 3D guy on my Chupacabra project can do all of that and print it for you, but let me relate something. MLC Cad Systems, the main retailer of Solidworks, is getting into selling 3D printers. They wanted to buy me dinner and liquor me up to buy one. I was skeptical but accepted. The Chupacabra has 20 pieces, four of them are inner Naca Ducts. Those four molds were going to be about $8,000 total and to buy the printer was $13,000. Believing that labor and material was negligible on a printer, it appeared that I could just about pay for a printer for the price of those four molds. Then I learned that ABS plastic was not acceptable for anything besides a presentational prototype and the ducts would need to be made from "Onyx". Priced per CC, there was $600 of Onyx per Naca Duct, or $2,400 for each printed set (vs. $80 per fiberglass set). Be aware that I can get you a reasonable price on the development, but to print a set of door handles is probably going to be around $2,000. Someone please prove me wrong...
    Last edited by 76mx; 12-30-2017 at 11:28 PM.

76, thanks for the reply.

We have a couple of printers at work. One is a more prototype ABS type that you mentioned, the other is more detailed but even so, less than ideal and not up to the strength that I think you would be looking for.

A friend builds robots for non-domestic / non-public applications and these are built from the materials that I think you are talking about.

I have no idea of the cost, but you can guess they arenít cheap!

Iím looking to build something for my car and have it printed here:
    https://www.shapeways.com

Iíve had some good luck with their printing and have been making all sorts of non-structural parts for my car. From bespoke shift knobs, to window pop-out mechanisms and having them printed in steel.

I could draw up the handle myself as I have with other parts, but would like to short cut my errors from poor measurement on weird compound curves etc! On one part it took three plastic prints to get it spot on and then printed it in steel.

Iím not 100% sure what material I would go for - maybe nylon. And as per the original plastic door handles, it wonít be a case of if they break, more a when they break. But thatís okay. Itís more about the fun of the doing and having a nice project to wheel out for cars and coffee and the occasional sunny day blat down a few country lanes

Thanks!
    Munky