Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seeking information about Miura

Question Seeking information about Miura

Iím in the investigative phase for another car project after I finish the GTO. I'm seeking out information from wherever possible that would help me scratch build a Lamborghini Miura SV. I see a lot of information about projects on other Lamborghini models but not the Miura.

So some initial questions Iím trying to answer:
    1. Has anyone built a Miura and is there a build diary posted anywhere?
    2. Does anyone have detailed Miura chassis plans with detailed measurements, etc?
    3. Has anyone figured out and built a transverse engine/trans/diff combo thatís in the 400 hp range? V12 preferred but V8 will also work.
    4. Has anyone figured out what non-Miura donor parts can be used for such a project? For example, is there a windshield or side window glass from a mass production vehicle that is close enough in shape to use in a scratch built Miura?
    5. Does anyone have a Miura body buck or body panel templates that could be used to confirm shape for new aluminum panels? I have the tooling and skills to shape body panels but donít currently have the Miura shape information other than pictures.

This will be a one off project for me as I have no ambitions to ďgo into the kit car businessĒ. Given this, Iím hoping to find some knowledgeable people who are willing to freely share information that would make this project feasible to do.

Thanks in advance.
    Joel Heinke
    (Classic Roadsters Cobra, Ferrari 250GTO under construction)

When the subject of a Miura replica comes up the Prova will be first mentioned.
    There weren't that many made, it was a very difficult car for the average Joe to complete. Unstarted kits pop up every now and then.
    This thread will maybe be of interest if you haven't seen it already. It is well executed by people who know what they are doing although it wasn't intended to be indistinguishable from the real thing. The body was a Prova. The customer wanted it how it was made.
    http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000003.html
    Parallel Designs have a modified version available but I am not sure if they offer the classic style as well. They started with a Prova shell though so they may have it.
    http://lamborghinimiura.co.uk
    The Fiberfab Jamaican has more than just a resemblance to a Miura but l think it isn't realistic to use one as a base for a good replica.
    https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifi...php?id=2138933
    Good luck with your search.
    Last edited by zagato750gt; 01-26-2018 at 05:22 PM.

Go through parallel designs

The blue Miura built by v8 Archie was the best Miura replica ever made
    I almost bought a green Miura replica from the uk but the importation hassles stopped me

Hopefully you will have better luck, and there is probably more to this story, but years ago I had a customer who wanted a Miura built. He flew to Parallel twice and standing in their office with money in hand still could not make a deal for a Miura kit. Please let us know if your experience is different.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by cutlass442 View Post
    Go through parallel designs

The blue Miura built by v8 Archie was the best Miura replica ever made
    I almost bought a green Miura replica from the uk but the importation hassles stopped me
    That car is sweet looking once finished but it took some very good craftsmen and a lot or work to get it there. I heard rumors that car is up for sale with asking price of $80k. I don't know if there's any truth to that rumor or not.

Quote Originally Posted by 76mx View Post
    Hopefully you will have better luck, and there is probably more to this story, but years ago I had a customer who wanted a Miura built. He flew to Parallel twice and standing in their office with money in hand still could not make a deal for a Miura kit. Please let us know if your experience is different.
    I don't plan to use a fiberglass body for the final body on my project. The final body will be aluminum. At best, I'd use a fiberglass body as a buck to get the shape information and that's only if I can find one that isn't all warped out of shape. In reading through the build thread for the V8 Archie built Miura, they had to use a bunch of steel members to take the warping out of the body and bunch of bodywork to take highs/lows out of the surface. It doesn't sound like the body they started with would even be suitable for a buck given all the work it took them to straighten it out.

Does anyone here have experience with 3d models from here: https://hum3d.com/3d-models/lamborgh...a-p400sv-1971/

Two reasons I ask:
    1. I'd like to know the quality of what they provide (i.e. is it accurate and usable) and if it's possible to pull "slices" from the model for making a buck. If so, what software package can I use to derive the slices from the 3d model?
    2. I'm told an original sized Miura can accommodate at largest someone who's 6'1" tall. I'm 6'5" tall so I'll most likely need to build a car that's 110% of original Miura size. So is it possible to scale the above mentioned 3d model to a larger proportional size?
    Joel Heinke

You can keep stock Miura dimension. just need to lower the floor pan or extend seat travel
    Since you're building a custom car that's easily doable , whereas nobody would alter a real Miura

Quote Originally Posted by C5GTO View Post
    That car is sweet looking once finished but it took some very good craftsmen and a lot or work to get it there.
    No matter the body style, I think you'll find there isn't a fibreglass kit out there that won't need some very good craftsmanship and a lot of work to achieve a quality look. There simply aren't the sale volumes in the kit car industry to invest the money and time required to produce excellent quality body panels, and when somebody does, the market usually can't afford the asking price.

You can keep stock Miura dimension. just need to lower the floor pan or extend seat travel
    Since you're building a custom car that's easily doable , whereas nobody would alter a real Miura
    This sketch gives a quick visual showing why it's not as easy as lowering floor or extending seat travel to accommodate a tall driver in a Miura.

The floor is already only about 5 inches off ground and the engine is right behind the seat.
    Joel Heinke

Since you are building a custom car and probably aren't using a v12 you can relocate the engine making much more space in the passenger compartment

Since you are building a custom car and probably aren't using a v12 you can relocate the engine making much more space in the passenger compartment
    Relocate the engine? To where? Besides, if he wants to keep the proportions even close to the original car, there's no question there isn't room for a longitudinal V12. And unless he comes across an authentic Miura engine/transmission combination I sincerely doubt any other transverse combination of alternate V12's and transmissions would come close to fitting.
    Last edited by Bloozberry; 02-01-2018 at 06:41 PM.