Thread: Speedster

Speedster

Hello, my name is Mitch and I am new here.
    I am currently trying to design my dream car to build sometime in the next few years.
    I have a few questions, first of which, I live in southern Minnesota and I am having trouble finding out what the specific laws/regulations that my state has concerning a custom built automobile and I am wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction? All I can find is information on how to register a custom vehicle and the things I will need to bring with me.
    And my second question. My car will be based on a model t chassis that is extended to 12' with a custom bullet speedster body built to fit, and I'm trying to build a 1/5 scale model of the car but can't really find blueprints of a model t truck chassis
    If anyone could help me out, I would immensely appreciate it
    Mitch

Mitch, go to SEMA.org and click on Government Affairs in the top ribbon. It will give you a Drop Down Menu then click on Tag and Title Toolbox:50 State Titling and Registration Guide, click that then click your home state of Minnesota. The equipment regulations start at Chapter 169.

Hey Mitch.
    I'm in Minneapolis and very aware of chapter 169 and small parts of chapter 168.
    Be prepared for a fight.
    My car took just under a year to build and 9 months of back and forth with the group at Public Safety before they finally approved my car.
    I was rejected a couple of times, but was so glad I had built my car according to the requirements of 169.
    Even when I showed proof of all parts, described compliance to the standard and what route I had taken, they said 'no', your car is a race car.
    I don't think you will have the same problems as me, as I know why they challenged me - I was kind of cheeky, but you are doing the right thing reading before doing!
    In the end I sought the advice of a lawyer. He gave me some pointers (free 30 min consultation) and then after another ton of reading and careful letter construction, they approved my application.
    Read, read and reread, and keep every single receipt - even if it's for something inane like painters tape.
    Munky

Thank you for the replies guys, the sema website is definitely a huge help.
    Hey monkeying, what does your vehicle look like? And I'm definitely going to have to prepare for a bit of a battle.
    I'm planning on constructing the body at home and I'm going to order some custom glass from my place of work (viracon) so I can have a fully enclosed cockpit. The car only seats one person and will use a Buick fireball 320 engine, manual trans and a aux fuel tank underneath the frame and a beer keg reserve tank behind the seat
    Mitch

Make sure you keep the receipts for all of the metal and take photo evidence of the build as you go.
    They will want to inspect it and you have to prove it's not stolen.

Same with the engine and other parts.

I submitted a build diary which included pictures.

If your car is a replica of something old - you mentioned a model T, you may be able to dodge some of the requirements. If it wasn't required on the original, you don't need it either. Think Cobra kits come under the same law and use this loophole.

Otherwise you have to have and meet the listed minimum requirements.

If it is based on a classic, you can also petition for collectors plates...

I've got another question about the windshield. Legally you can have all the glass tinted except for the windshield in Minnesota. I was wondering if I used a different glass substrate (think beer bottle glass vs. The color of a coke bottle) would I be able to get away with using a different colored glass substrate. Or if I should just have the glass made out of normal glass? I am thinking of having all glass laminated.
    I'm getting to a point where is like to get a laptop so I can produce a much more accurate drawing of the car body and producing a full scale mockup of the cockpit so I can figure out how much room I will have while sitting in the car and where I can place the different controls
    Mitch