Thread: Were all Manta Mirage windshields acrylic?

Were all Manta Mirage windshields acrylic?

I have been looking at starting a build and would be interested in a Mirage windshield if they were DOT glass. Is there a source for them in glass?

thanks
    Last edited by csdilligaf; 02-17-2018 at 05:39 PM.

Csdilligaf, I have a little experience with Manta cars, enough to know that all of their windshields were acrylic, not even Lexan. I would be very surprised if one was ever offered in glass, and if it was, the price for the acrylic one was over $1,000 way back when. That makes me think that a glass one would be several thousand if it did exist. For that price, Bent Glass or Gilchrist could make you one, and use design specifications to fit your design instead of having to work around the fixed dimensions of a Manta. Manta Cars would know better than anyone if a glass one existed, call or email them and ask.

76mx, thanks for the contacts and info. I have looked for someone to make glass curved glass and came up dry so I will try Bent Glass. As a back up I have the rear glass from a 1995 RX7 and was reading up on how too make a copy in Lexan. I did find a supplier in Florida that does make Lexan RX7 rear windows with a scratch resistant coating as well but I think I would like DOT glass.

thanks,

Quite welcome but realize that you still are not going to have a DOT sticker. You will have laminated safety glass, the same thing that is usually used for DOT approved windshields, but no DOT sticker, no authority from Bent Glass or Gilchrist to apply the sticker. On the other hand, the Lexan that you do not want is also acceptable as a windshield material, considerably less expensive, and puts you in the same boat: A windshield that is approved by DOT without the DOT approval sticker. Now that I think about it, if you would have found a glass Manta windshield, there is no way that it would have had a DOT sticker either. Nicholas at Classic Flat Glass can make windshields and has Federal Authority to issue DOT approval, but he is very limited about what he can shape.