Thread: Sports Roadster Frame and Body Kit

Sports Roadster Frame and Body Kit

Idea is to make the same as a bucket T roadster kit but one that has low CG and has some handling.

Open engine compartment with some kind of nosecone.

If push comes to shove just make up the initial design with an T style front axle.

Would like to do a little better than that though.

A GM front suspension stub would work. Design the front nosecone to cover up suspension.

Body can be simple bumble bee tail. Lower and flatter than a T body.

Idea is to have a low price kit. Alternative to T kits for someone that wants a roadster sportscar.

Good idea! Before starting my Cheetah inspired build I built a space frame, bolted C4 Corvette suspension to it and made a Tbucket inspired body by sculpting foam and fiber glassing over it. Its set up for a SBC. I have it ready to finish and will do that after my Cheetah. Having fun. John

Last edited by jm14; 02-25-2018 at 01:03 AM.

Good job. It's almost finished.

Body I'm thinking of is a simple 'Lakes Streamliner' or 'Everycar' type body.

Like this Club de Mer showcar body WITHOUT all the sculpting in it.

https://www.amazon.com/Revell-Pontia.../dp/B00SXBNA5U

Then leave the section out around the engine.

That leaves a low rounded body and a rounded nose cone or 'radiator/heaflight' shell.

Not a Museum of Art nominee but it would get cars built in backyards.
    Last edited by rapid transit; 02-24-2018 at 11:55 PM.

After you build the Cheetah you should do some original bodies.

Since you're getting the hang of the sculpting and fiberglass.

You can do some in scale. 1/16, 1/8, 1/4 and even 1/2.

See if anybody wants a full size one.

My Cheetah body is what I imagined a Cheetah roadster might have evolved into if the car had continued. The original Cheetah cockpit room and comfort was terrible. And, the frame was too flimsy for great handling. I think that I've addressed those issues with my build. I'm very happy with the way it's turning out. I know that other people might have a different opinion but I'm building the car for me. It's inspired by the Cheetah. Not a replica. I think my Cheetah is a good alternative to a Cobra for Chevy guys. With it's light weight, low center of gravity, engine set back, stiff frame and C4 vette aluminum independent suspension it will be a great handling little car. The body will give it a sleek, classic style body. I built the Cheetah because I wanted a cool looking car with good performance and handling at a price that wouldn't break the bank. Pretty much what your stated goals are. Just with a different body shape.

I'm having a professional fiberglass company make the molds and future bodies. I have a race car chassis shop that's going to produce future bodies. I'm going to offer a kit for those along with aluminum panels, and the brackets for coil over shocks. I'm not capable of production. The fact is that my health is poor. I've had 2 heart attacks (one with a 5% survival rate), 6 knee surgeries ( 1 replacement) and complications from diabetes. This car, I think, is my last major build.

I'm going drive my car, go to some car shows, and have fun. I didn't build my Cheetah with the intent to sell anything. But, I've had a few friends and my son want one. I need the molds to be made to get a body from my car. Since I have the capability to have the parts made I'll offer them. Who knows if I'll sell any. My target kit price is $9900. That's with a gel coat colored body that's buffed and polished. No paint required.

Just to clear things up.

Goals:

Body price w/o nosecone. $400-600

Nosecone $200-300

Frame $600-1000 bare

Will make other posts for general body styles and nosecone definition.

Here's a sample of the 'nosecone' or 'front cap'.

https://www.autoworldstore.com/product_p/hl137.htm

Early 60's bucket T show car trend of having a part body instead of just radiator.

Can 'grow' it a little to cover front A arm suspension. Independent front suspension is a necessity.

So it is a radiator support/headlight holder and optionally covers front suspension. Can even blend in some front fenders.

Body styles.

AC Bristol/Cobra(European roadster)

Same kind of body as a whole bunch of sportscars and most of the 50's fiberglass kit cars.

I think there was some Ferrari that inspired all those.

50's Corvette

That was and Americanized version of the European sportscar body.

It had 'wheel houses' for all four wheels but then gave it a bumble section between the wheelhouse in the tail.

Then the front was rounded over with a grill opening between the wheel housed up front.

The Corvette did not have the 'shark mouth' grill opening of the European sports cars.

It was toned down and Americanized.

That body was not the first time it appeared.

Some European sports cars had the rounded over between the wheel houses too.

Third body is like the Pontiac Club De Mer.

Simple rounded off body 100% through.

Kind of dopey but would get the job done.

Better than walking as we used to say.

I agree with you about the Cheetah.

You have to keep in mind the goals of racing.

They are built to the rules of the moment.

So they can be real kludges but they get the job done.

You say 'engine setback'. I say 'Front mid engine'. Engine behind the front axle. Give better weight distribution and handling.

In the real world somebody can just build a track roadster and put a rollbar and wide front tires on it and be done with it.

I would like to do a bit better than that.