Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mercedes CLK GTR Replica from Scratch

I just bought two clk430 convertIbles hoping to make one of them
    into clk gtr- the roof is already off when using a convertible so the structure is strong

have you sourced a body ?

I've been re-working the chassis design, in particular the front suspension cross member. The new version flows better with the hood line and isn't as boxy as the first version. It also gave more room in the foot well. Here the 3rd Gen Mazda RX7 Windshield is included, along with a slice of the CLK GTR Body over the driver. That's me in there at actual size, I think I stole that one from Joel. I left my glasses on to see better. The drawing helps work out things like ground clearance, roof height, leg room, cabin width and steering wheel placement.

The front end uses Corvette C4 components, rotor to rotor including the rack & pinion. I was considering taking out the anti-dive in the upper control arm but left it in for now. Making tubular A-Arms with heim joints was also in the plans but I decided to keep plowing ahead with the stock Corvette parts.

As with the rear suspension cross member , the front one is made from 1.5" x 1.5" 16ga square tubing along with 1" x 1" reinforcement braces added.

I source these chassis tabs thru AA Manufacturing in Michigan, USA. They have an extensive catalog of common and uncommom brackets and tabs for suspension, steering and brake parts for race cars, dirt track, sprint and kit cars.
    https://www.aa-mfg.com/

Last edited by TRcrazy; 11-12-2019 at 07:12 PM.
    Remember, there is always next year.

Glad to see your still at it. Its looking good. I wish I was that good with Sketch up.

Looking good! You're smart to design the chassis and bodywork around a "off the shelf" windshield from a factory made car. I didn't do that for my GTO and am really regretting it now.
    Joel Heinke
    Be original; don't be afraid of being bold!

Thanks Chip, still learning new things in SketchUp and watching a lot of tutorials helps.
    Joel, its true how critical the windshield choice is and can be the difference between a good car and a great car. I was going with a Solstice glass then spotted a RX7 at a car meet, it looked like a better option.
    Here's the jig I made to locate the Corvette C4 steering rack correctly in the tube chassis. I used the original suspension cross member to locate the 2 'dummy' lower control arm bushings. One side was made removable to assist it taking it off the corvette cradle.

Last edited by TRcrazy; 11-13-2019 at 10:42 PM.

I posted a new Build Video here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuCEq1o5ynU

Front Suspension Cradle, Will add the Steering Rack mounting points next.

Last edited by TRcrazy; 11-27-2019 at 05:00 PM.

The stock Corvette C4 gave up its center section for the cause. I considered selling off this part but I chose to sacrifice it to save time fabricating the mounts from scratch. And I got to use my plasma cutter.

Here is the Steering Rack Jig bolted into the new Suspension Cradle. V V V V V

The stock Steering rack mount installed in its new home, just bolted to the jig for now.
    V V V V V V

another view. V V V V V V

Last edited by TRcrazy; 11-27-2019 at 04:49 PM.