Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Mercedes CLK GTR Replica from Scratch

The first model was from a Porsche 997 file I downloaded from the SketchUp 3D warehouse, I then adjusted it for correct scale and removed the windshield and dropped it into my drawing. The 3D warehouse file is close but not 100%. I'll measure and model this windshield I have here to replace the 1st 3D version. Thanks, Vince
    Remember, there is always next year.

Happy new Year to everyone here. I added the OEM corvette steering rack mounting into the front cradle using the jig I put together (see earlier posts). Additional reinf will be added on the right side in the picture below.

I put together this basic tram gauge to help measure the longer odd-shaped parts of the car. One end is fixed and the other point slides with a screw down knob to lock it on the wooden shaft (wood size is 1/2" x 2" x 6'). I plan to powder coat the metal parts and seal the wood with either a stain or varnish. Thanks for following, -Vince

Last edited by TRcrazy; 01-04-2020 at 03:14 PM.

Working on the tube chassis layout with emphasis on the jacking points, the engine /transm placement is pushing the rear jack pad location more towards the back. And getting the load path to go up thru the rollbar, across the chassis and disperse outward. Also working on windshield selection and placement, which affects roll bar placement. With a scratch built car, one decision affects 5 other parts of the car down the line in the process. So you're always thinking ahead.The Porsche glass is off the list for now, its a good amount wider than the drawings I had. That was a bummer for 1/2 a day but I got back at it and moved on. -Vince

On the subject of windshields, I spoke to Joel (C5GTO) and he mentioned cutting down a common windshield. I had completely forgot about this back from the days of the Lambo crowd looking for a glass option. I watched a few videos on Youtube, in particular one method of using a glass cutter and scribing the cut line on the windshield front and back, then light it on fire using rubbing alcohol to soften the laminate and breaking off the cut sections.
    I would prefer a heat gun in place of burning alcohol. How long is the life of a glass that's been trimmed is an unknown. I can stomach breaking a $100 piece of glass. If i'M successful I will store away the paper pattern of my cut along with the donor car info for making another should/when it cracks.
    Also I cannot use lexan or polycarbonate for this, The car will be inspected for road registration and must have a DOT approved glass.
    Anyone have First-Hand experience cutting a windshield please reach out to me. Thanks, Vince
    Last edited by TRcrazy; 01-04-2020 at 04:38 PM.

Vinny, a windshield must be of a DOT approved material, their definition is shatterproof. Lexan (polycarbonate) is an approved material and the next year Mustangs will come with Lexan windshields, and Lexan windshields have been common in Europe for several years. In order to manufacture a windshield for use in automobile manufacture or replacement, it needs a DOT stamp. To use Lexan in a handbuilt car, it does not. The State inspection process does not include any of the Federal Law in Title 51 of the Motor Vehicle Code nor will the State have anyone schooled on Title 51 or authorized to enforce it. As an example, the State inspection will say that windshield wipers are required. It will not say per Title 51 how much area they need to sweep, how much of that area has to be at what degree angle above and below the line of sight, or the formula for how much horizontal area in proportion to vertical must be swept, etc etc etc. Having said all of that, the problem may come when the State inspector thinks they are knowledgeable and thinks it is a requirement and thinks they have the authority to enforce it.

Hi Charley, thanks for taking the time to reply. I would like to assume my stateís DOT inspector knows what he/she is doing but thatís not always the case . Your knowledge far exceeds what many inspectors know, unfortunately they have the power to reject an application for a VIN number based on what they ďbelieveĒ is incorrect . I donít have the copy of the states paperwork at hand but going off memory it says the windshield must have an AS # present. On a trimmed windshield this # may be on the section removed . Iíve usually seen the # on the drivers side by the A pillar .
    Last edited by TRcrazy; 01-05-2020 at 10:13 AM.

Hi Vince.

Nice work on the planning of the build.
    Regarding cutting the screen, having it waterjet cut is the best way.
    Just make sure to wrap it with some high quality vinyl so as not to "sand blast" the surface that stays.
    It gives a very nice clean cut, & the risk of breakage is very small.

Cheers.
    Jose'

Vince: while I did remind you a windshield can be trimmed for needed size, I would however encourage you to find a windshield that will work without trimming. If such a windshield doesn't exist then the fallback is trimming one to size. I say this because my experience is that windshield cutting isn't an exact or repeatable science. I've paid for and cracked several perfectly good windshields trying to cut them. The least risky approach is to be able to use a piece of factory glass as-is, the cracking risk factor goes up from there. There are cutting processes that work but it might be on the 2nd or 3rd or if lucky maybe the 1st time you try.

If you need to cut a windshield, I've done it with a handheld router (RotoZip) and diamond encrusted router bit. I can provide more details to you if you decided to try this approach. I've seen first hand a windshield cut with a glass cutter and alcohol but haven't tried it myself. While that approach is certainly less time consuming, I think it likely takes quite a bit of practice to develop the technique. In other words, expect to crack a couple of windshields while learning the technique.

Best of luck on your windshield search!
    Joel Heinke
    Be original; don't be afraid of being bold!

https://www.sandersreproglass.com/ This is a company that I used for a job. It was from flat stock but I think they may be able to work with a curved piece that is close to the form you want. I also would recommend looking at a windshield from a Nissan Pulsar NX or Chevy Aveo, both of which are fairly narrow and may have a usable surface form.

A big thanks to everyone taking the time to share their knowledge here, I greatly appreciate it.
    I spent the later part of today googling windshields, the Lotus Elise glass has that supercar curve, and a bit pricey too. Not italian supercar $, but I wouldn't want that glass sitting in the shop where I could bump into it by accident. I've looked on the Lotus forums and it seems they're prone to stone chips and get replaced for that reason or a lexan version is swapped for weight savings in racing.
    I did place the Steering rack into the front cradle today, the original front sway bar is WAY to heavy for my application. I see options for where I can mount a different sway bar as I go along in the build. I got lucky in that I didn't figure the clearance for the sway bar in the original drawings. Thanks for looking, -Vince
    Last edited by TRcrazy; 01-05-2020 at 10:09 PM.

Big thanks to Joel (C5GTO), Charley (76MX), aflo and JoseOSI for helping me out. I've been looking at windshields for the past week and they all have their drawbacks, either too wide too short or lack of curve etc.
    My back up plan is to use the windshield out of a Lotus Elise. in the short term I would contact glass installers and express my interest in buying the old 'Take Out' windshield from a replacement job. This windshield will serve in the short term to lock down my measurements, although it will have a crack or rock chip won't matter. I can be careless around this glass because it will get scrapped when the car is finished and a new $ glass will be installed.
    Its really the only true choice to achieve the Supercar look.
    Note: I don't have this windshield, this pic is just for reference.

Well, that's the latest plan.
    Thanks for looking, Vince
    Last edited by TRcrazy; 01-11-2020 at 04:47 PM.