Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Mercedes CLK GTR Replica from Scratch

I was in Lake Havasu and saw a mid engine kit car with a transverse Honda drivetrain that used the Lotus Elise windsheild. I stopped and talked to the guy and the company had only made a run of five kits before going under. I was really liked the look of it and stored the idea in the back of my mind. I found the price to be up there a bit as well but for some reason there were a lot of them for sale that included the windshield frame with it. That might be nice to have. I think the Avatar used an Elise also. Looks like a good choice
    Last edited by csdilligaf; 01-14-2020 at 09:07 AM.

Thanks Chip, I hope you were at the lake for vacation and not work.
    I spoke to Joel this past week regarding windshield choice, his Miura uses a Corvette C4 glass and frame assembly. He doesn't see any issue sourcing a windshield in the future should the need arise. It may be to my advantage to follow his lead and use something mass produced. Honestly, I change my mind daily and need to finalize this in order to move forward with the build. tonight's Photoshop session uses a Mazda RX8 Windshield (lower pic).
    Last edited by TRcrazy; 01-14-2020 at 11:08 PM.
    Remember, there is always next year.

Лучший автомобиль, я бы купил его сам

I came across something important I overlooked in this front end. I set the C4 Corvette suspension at stock pick-up points and geometry. However I'm running later C5 vette wheels with high positive offset. This places my wheels inward and narrows the front track of the car substantially, along with that I had the body width matching the outside of the tires. In my hunt for a windshield, all the mock up glass I placed in my drawing still seemed too wide. because I'm 4 inches too narrow with my front end.
    So as a solution I'm considering adding steering rack inner extensions (Speedway Motors) at 2" per side, along with widening the front cradle by the same amount to move the a-arms outward. I'd prefer to keep the corvette rack over chasing down a wider donor rack. Any opinions on this is appreciated.
    Thanks !

Last edited by TRcrazy; 01-22-2020 at 10:15 PM.
    Remember, there is always next year.

I agree with your assessment. Keep stock geometry whenever possible on the a-arms and adjust with the centre section. Inner extensions also do not change the steering angles and geometry so you still end up with the right ackers and pivot points so no tow in or toe out in a turn.

Widening the centre section will make the cockpit footwells wider as well to match up with the front frame so will they now interfere with front fender well space? Will the combination of the C5 wheels with more inner offset move the rear of the tire into the re-positioned cockpit footwell when turning?

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Thanks for replying Don, Iím hoping for a simple solution by re-working what I already have made. Iíll check my model for tire turning clearance and report back here.
    Iíve been following your thread and the starter issues, it sounds like youíre getting it sorted out. Glad to see that.
    Thanks, Vinny

Arrow

It sounds like you're talking about adding 2" per side or 4" overall to the front track width. As to doing this while still using the C4 rack & pinion, do the pivot points in the R&P line up with the inner pivot points on the lower A arm prior to this change? They most likely do. If the extenders are outboard of the R&P pivot points and you move the lower A arms pivot points outboard, then these pivot points will no longer be aligned with each other. That might cause a bump steer issue (or might not) but I'd sure test it to make sure. The end goal is to have no changes to toe settings as the front suspension moves through the entire range of up and down movement.

Will having a wider track width allow you to use a wider windshield? I think the visual mockup with the RX8 windshield looked pretty good, but you might be able to do even better if a wider piece of glass enables you to look at a bunch more car models to choose from.
    Last edited by C5GTO; Today at 11:25 AM.
    Joel Heinke
    Be original; don't be afraid of being bold!

Quote Originally Posted by C5GTO View Post
    It sounds like you're talking about adding 2" per side or 4" overall to the front track width.... That might cause a bump steer issue.
    Joel is right. When you view your suspension drawings from the front (or rear) view, draw a hypothetical line from the inboard upper control arm pivot point to the inboard lower control arm pivot point. Your steering rack inner tie rod must fall along that line to avoid unwanted toe changes in compression and rebound.

In your case, if you move the left and right hand suspensions 4" further apart, and keep the same steering rack, your inner tie rod pivot points will be too far inboard. As the control arms pivot through their arc, they will scribe a smaller radius than your longer tie rods. The effect will be that as the wheel rises in jounce, or falls in rebound, the effective length of the tie rod will "shorten" slower than the control arms, and will push the front of the knuckle outward. That will cause the car to understeer. By how much is anybody's guess unless you work out the geometry with some stick drawings or with some animation software, but from my experience, 4" could be significant. If I were you, I'd find a wider rack, or new wheels.
    Last edited by Bloozberry; Today at 09:20 PM.