Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Modern-day Miura

Quote Originally Posted by chimaera View Post
    why not flip the radiator upside down so that the coolant tubes would face the ground. If so would the bottom tube be too low and can you reweld it so it would point to the side. Or will the hole thing produce air lock on top of the top of the radiator.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I just walked out to garage to give it a try.

The radiator has an air purge valve on the tank top so purging the air shouldn't be an issue. As you noted the lower hose connection hangs down too low and I think there would be interference between the upper hose and the A/C condenser. So that would mean modification to both hose mounts if the radiator is flipped over. Versus modifying only one hose mount if it interferes with the body in its current orientation. So I think flipping the radiator over doesn't get me ahead at all.

If I do need to modify the upper hose mount, I think I might use part of your suggestion. That is to weld it on the outside of the tank.

-------

As I was writing the above, another idea came to mind. How about rotating the radiator 180 degrees resulting in the hose mounts on the drivers side. The lower hose mount, which is already welded to the tank at a 30 degree angle, becomes the upper hose mount with this orientation. So it's already angled and should clear the bodywork. This would put the air purge valve on the bottom so it would become a drain. I would need to add an air purge valve but probably could do that at a high point in the tubing versus the radiator itself.

In only thinking this through for a couple of minutes, the main question that comes to mind relates to the different sizes for the hose mounts. One is 1 3/4" and the other is 1 1/2" where the larger would now be on top and smaller on bottom. The 6 feet (or so) of tubing between the radiator and engine is all 1 1/2" though. So the larger one was going to be adapted down to 1 1/2" for the long run to engine anyway. So I'm guessing having the larger radiator tube mount on top due to radiator rotation shouldn't introduce a new issue anyway. The coolant capacity for this car is already way larger than most cars due to the front radiator and mid-engine placements.

Does anyone who has deep automotive cooling/heat transfer experience have any input on the hose sizing dynamics?
    Joel Heinke
    Be original; don't be scared of being bold!

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Looks great Joel. Do you think the spare tire will get in the way of the hood vents and air flow through the rad?

Enjoying the updates.
    Don
    Don: great question and I'm glad you asked as it prompted me to action. I mocked up the vents on paper and figured out the approximate placement in order to get a feel for the answer.

Yes, the spare tire will partially block the air flow. There's quite a bit of vent space on the hood so I think there's still plenty of unblocked space for the hot air to get out. I do plan to fabricate a fan shroud over the entire radiator core and will be locating the fans to work around the blockage from the spare tire.
    Joel Heinke

Joel. Have you considered used a 'Space-Saver' spare?

Quote Originally Posted by Boy from Oz View Post
    Joel. Have you considered used a 'Space-Saver' spare?
    I have considered that along with using no spare tire at all. The main reason I'm using the full size tire as a spare at this stage of construction is to try to design everything around it such that I can use a full sized spare if needed. This may sound weird because weight is usually the enemy in sports cars. But given the transverse mid-engine placement in the Miura, if the front end ends up being too light for proper handling (especially at speed) then adding extra weight up front with a full sized spare is an option I'd like to have.
    Joel Heinke

Definitely great for better weight distribution, but another reason is to be able to fit your flat tire back in your car after you've changed it out. The only alternative might be to throw the flat tire and expensive rim in the ditch and hope nobody finds it before you can return to pick it up. (I too have designed my F355 kit around being able to fit a full width rear tire and rim assembly up front, though with mid mounted radiators I don't have the same airflow considerations as you do.)

Bloozberry, that same thought process has also occurred to me. The chassis that I built for Joel is basically a Chupacabra chassis, and I welcomed 50 pounds of weight over the front axle. I had a little different thought about leaving the flat in the ditch, I did not want to put a girlfriend out to carry a flat in the passenger's seat. Hope I made you choke on your coffee again. Overall, I believe that an area for a full size spare as well as a full size flat is a sound engineering choice.

Quote Originally Posted by 76mx View Post
    Hope I made you choke on your coffee again.

Kicking the girlfriend out will only provide a temporary solution; rest assured you'd have four more flat tires to deal with the next day. Women are vindictive like that. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloozberry View Post
    Kicking the girlfriend out will only provide a temporary solution; rest assured you'd have four more flat tires to deal with the next day. Women are vindictive like that. LOL.
    My turn to choke.

Post Chassis Front Extension Fabrication (part 4)

Based on a suggestion from Chimaera, I found a way to orient the radiator such that no radiator alterations are needed. I found that by rotating the radiator 180 degrees it would work better. This moved the hose mounts from passenger side to drivers side but the now top hose mount exits the radiator at an angle and should provide the necessary hood clearance. The air bleed valve formerly at top of radiator is now on the bottom and will serve as a drain. Iíll need to make provision for an air bleed up top but will do this in the upper radiator hose/tube instead of radiator itself.

Hereís the radiator in the new orientation.

I thought the upper radiator mount strap looked a bit unfinished so I made a box from 5052 .063 to finish it off. Riv-nuts in the box sides are used as fasteners. The box will also provide some additional support for the fan shroud I plan to build next.

The A/C condenser is mounted under the radiator.

I plan to close off the radiator and A/C condenser sides to the frame tubes to seal off airflow but I need to figure out the front clip hinge point prior to that.
    Joel Heinke