Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Modern-day Miura

Life Rule #28: One test is worth a thousand engineers.

Better yet, one engineer can save thousands of tests of trial and error.
    Last edited by Bloozberry; 11-29-2018 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianBurton View Post
    wait.... I thought I was in the top 5

LOL
    You are my friend, all is resolved, let us give Joel his Thread back. When are you coming down here for some bar-b-que?

Post Let the 3D modeling begin!

Itís time I give another update. The project focus has shifted from chassis building back to designing. The next build step is to make inner body structures and these need to be designed and locations determined prior to construction. By inner body structures I mean things like roof support structure, door jambs, door frames, front and rear clip support frameworks.

My main challenge at present is that I donít have reliable body shape information to know where to locate the various inner structures. They need to be just under the body skin but given this is a lengthened and widened Miura, I canít just duplicate the locations from an original car. So I need to design the body work shape for this car and then devise a way to get reliable and usable shape information from it. Itís sort of a chicken and egg problem. I need to have the inner structures in the right place to hold the body skin but I need to have the body skin shape/placement in order to build the inner structures.

The approach Iíve chosen is to build a 3D model for this car and then use the information from that model to build a station buck for the car. I can make contour guides by lofting off the buck and these contour guides can be temporarily attached to the chassis to show where the body skin will be. For contour guides, I typically use ĺĒ wide strips of sheet steel that can be easily curved with a shrinker/stretcher for the lofting. Credit for this style contour guide goes to Lazze Jansson as I learned this technique in his metal shaping class.

For the 3D modeling, I engaged the services of Dan Palatnik (email: dan.palat@gmail.com and website: http://garagemdigital.blogspot.com/) a freelance auto body modeling expert. I was somewhat leery of going this route as Dan is not local to me but he came highly recommended by a trusted friend and was able to provide many examples of his work. Dan has already developed the 3D model for the Modern-day Miura and I will also be having him ďsliceĒ the model to get the CNC instructions for cutting buck stations. Here are some renderings from the current model.

Dan can either develop a 3D model from scratch or alternatively start from an existing model if it meets certain requirements. We elected to do the later as I was able to purchase a Miura SV model from Squir.com at a very reasonable price that met the requirements. There were some flaws like misshapen wheel openings, headlight openings, etc. in the model but Dan was able to quickly fix these and we were off to a quick start.

I had Dan transform the model to length wheelbase, widen track, change the windshield and side glass to C4 Corvette, stretch the body to accommodate chassis hard points and then make a bunch of tweaks/optimizations until I thought it had the Miura look I was going after. I have to give credit to Mark Savory (https://www.modenawest.com/) who provided great input to me on the various aspects for this body design. I also have to thank Dan who was able to quickly understand and make various changes to the model.

So to recap, it feels like doing a 3D model and constructing a station buck are a huge effort in order to design inner body structures, I think it will be well worth it. I think there will be less trial and error. In addition, it helped solidify the targeted body shape in my mind and provided further verification the windshield and side glass Iíd chosen would work out. If youíre looking for 3D modeling services, I can recommend Dan based on what heís done for me so far.
    Joel Heinke
    Be original; don't be scared of being bold!

Quote Originally Posted by 76mx View Post
    You are my friend, all is resolved, let us give Joel his Thread back. When are you coming down here for some bar-b-que?
    I am free next month LOL

Post Let the station buck modeling begin!

The primary purpose of creating a 3D model for this Miura project is to create a station buck for the body. I decided to go for a stand-alone, egg crate style of buck that will be composed of multiple modules. I have limited workspace in my garage. I hope to use it judiciously by only having the buck modules assembled where Iím focusing my work at any one time and thus optimizing the available work space. The various modules are shown in different colors on this rendering.

The CAD work for designing the buck is being done by Dan Palatnik, the same person who did the CAD work on the 3D body modeling. Iím having Dan do the buck modeling as he has a lot of experience doing this and I have none. This is my first go at building a station buck. Dan started the buck modeling by first identifying where to position transverse stations.

Then he modeled the stations in detail starting at the front of the car and working rearwards.

After modeling all the stations in the front clip module, he modeled the rocker panel modules.

Thatís it for now as the holiday season is here and Dan is getting a much deserved break to celebrate. Work on the modeling the station buck will resume in the New Year.
    Joel Heinke
    Be original; don't be scared of being bold!

Incredible work Joel, I'm going down the same path as you with the CLK-GTR build. I appreciate you taking the time to post your progress. Happy Holidays, Vinny
    Remember, there is always next year.