Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: Modern-day Miura

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianBurton View Post
    Man, I cannot wait to see this car's progress!!!!
    There you go Adrian, hopefully this wets your appetite
    Joel Heinke
    Be original; don't be afraid of being bold!

definitely and for the record I am always looking for the tips and tricks that you are utilizing

Quote Originally Posted by C5GTO View Post
    Vinny: are you going the composite or aluminum route with your CLK-GTR build?
    Hey Joel, I'm making the body in aluminum, the tube chassis is steel with the cabin covered with riveted aluminum panels.
    -Vinny
    Remember, there is always next year.

Lightbulb Too much of a good thing

So I was taking another look at the clearance between the now trimmed side window glass and the door latch. A thought occurred to me that if I just removed another 1/8Ē it would provide a good safety margin of clearance space. So I pulled out the side glass and took it over to the lapidary grinder/polisher. Iím grinding away and Ö

I think you can see where this is going and should have left good enough alone.

Well, I can now speak from firsthand knowledge that tempered glass is very stable until it isnít. It can be instantaneously explosive! One second you have a full pane of glass in your hands, the next second your hands are holding air and the tempered glass is now thousands of shards spread across the work area blast zone. I guess the good news is that I didnít get cut by all that flying glass.

I do know what I did wrong, I think. I think the grind contact zone got too close to the edge of the diamond wheel. My son says he stays away from the wheel edges as the diamonds there can ďgrabĒ a stone out of your hands and basically trash it. I think either the sharper diamonds or maybe the wheel edge itself started a chain reaction fracture that blew-up my glass.

The other good news is that I was able to find a matching set of C4 Corvette side windows on eBay for $160 shipped. So this learning opportunity cost me something, but itís really not that expensive of a lesson, yet. Cross my fingers that I can grind that corner off the new glass without an explosive outcome
    Joel Heinke

Yikes!
    Glad you're okay Joel.
    Did that get your heart started or was it one of those things that happened so fast it was over before you even knew what was happening?

Quote Originally Posted by C5GTO View Post
    ...Cross my fingers that I can grind that corner off the new glass without an explosive outcome
    HmmmmÖ I didn't know you could grind tempered glass. I did learn that flat tempered glass looks just like regular flat glass, but you can only cut one of them. Luckily when it explodes it's usually in a shower of tiny little squares that aren't too sharp. Ka-Boom!

Quote Originally Posted by 20below View Post
    Yikes!
    Glad you're okay Joel.
    Did that get your heart started or was it one of those things that happened so fast it was over before you even knew what was happening?
    Happened so fast I didn't have time to get scared or do anything but stare at my now empty hands.
    Joel Heinke

the fact that something pleasant becomes unpleasant because you have or do too much of it: You can have too much of a good thing.
    My mission: To help you build your best love life.
    Shadi todne ka wazifa | Nikah todne ka wazifa | Wazifa for Love Marriage

Post Door frame transformation (cont.)

While waiting for new door glass to arrive, I decided to finish up on the driverís side door frame. The metal was trimmed so it would all fit inside the door. For the picture, I place a length of ĺĒ square tube where the top of the rocker panel will be. The door opens and closes over this just fine.

Itís starting to look more like a Miura door especially when compared to what it looked like when the transformation started. Here's the before picture.

Joel Heinke

Post Front Clip Substructure

I now have the station buck pieces that I was waiting on prior to building the front clip substructure. I needed the hood vent hammer forms to be completed so I could locate the vents that are on top of the front clip with precision and thus locate the substructure along the vent edges. Hereís the vent hammer forms fitted into the station buck.

To build the front clip substructure, Iím basing all fore and aft measurements off the front axle centerline. The station buck has a transverse station located on the front axle centerline so itís easy to take measurements from that point. All vertical measurements are based off the garage floor which has a slight tilt to it with the passenger side about ĹĒ lower than drivers side. The chassis is set to targeted ride height and dead horizontal using blocks and shims. So Iíve determined the height of various chassis members relative to the garage floor under the drivers side tire and all vertical measurements will be taken from these chassis members with some math addition involved.

As a reminder, I had prior built the hinges for the tilt up front clip.

The front clip substructure originates at the hinge and goes back to the windshield to support the front clip skin. Hereís what the steel substructure looks like on a factory Miura.

I am electing to build the substructure in aluminum on my car so I canít just copy the original. Instead of a pure sheet metal substructure as was done on the original, Iíll be using a combination of rectangular aluminum tubes and sheet. My objective is to locate the substructure just under the front clip skin and I could not accomplish this without having an accurate station buck. I take multiple measurements from the station buck to ensure each substructure member is positioned just under the intended skin height as it changes elevations.

I started by using a piece of wood to mockup the substructure member going in front of the hood vents. Itís height and location was set using blocks and clamps. From there, I connected the dots with a rectangular tube.

From there, a tube was added to extend this just beyond the front bulkhead. Again, I had to take many measurements to ensure this member would stay below the skin. It does except for the aft 6Ē which Iíll lower that section with a small pie cut and weld. It was then repeat for the drivers side.

Thatís it so far. More to come as I progressÖ
    Joel Heinke