Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: Modern-day Miura

Really like how your'e tackling the doors. I'm taking notes...

Post Station buck hammer forms

I bumped into an old friend one day and he mentioned that he'd built himself a CNC router in his garage. Hearing this, I immediately asked him for a favor, provided him the CAD files and soon I had another piece to the station buck puzzle. He made me hammer forms in MDF for the vents situated in the top middle of the hood.

These started from 3 layers of 3/4" MDF glued together and then shaped on a CNC router. Like the other parts of the station buck, these fit perfect with the top surfaces aligned as they should be. You sure can't beat this CAD stuff for accuracy.

The headlight opening hammer forms were then shaped and installed on station buck.

Next up, the front grill opening. This one is big and complicated. It might take a while to get done.
    Joel Heinke
    Be original; don't be afraid of being bold!

Looks like some prehistoric skeleton at the dinosaur museum. LOL

Post Front Clip Substructure (cont.)

The build out on the front clip substructure continues. In books Iíve read about structural engineering, itís said that the strongest geometric shape is the triangle. So I always try to design in triangles where I can. This substructure is long and wide, will likely have a decent amount of down pressure on it at highway speeds and so I put a triangle across the longest part of it.

The hinges are working well so far and substructure lifts and lowers easily.
    Joel Heinke

Post Front Clip Substructure (cont.)

More triangles added to the sub-structure.

My objective with this triangulation is to minimize the twist when the front clip is raised. The fuel fill will be under the front clip (i.e. not externally accessible), the front clip will be raised by a single person the majority of the time and thus a twisting motion will be placed on the front clip for every fuel fill. The front clip substructure is wide and fairly flat. So Iím trying to design the front clip substructure to be lifted with a minimum amount of twist being transmitted through to the skin.

Fabricating these triangulation members took quite a bit of time. Firstly because of the odd angles that were needed at each end and secondly because I had to make them twice. My first attempt was failed because the triangulation tubes came in contact with the upper chassis tubes prior to the front clip being completely raised. So I had many trips to the belt sander to fine tune the angled fit up by the time I had good pieces to weld in.

Thereís now a whole ľĒ of clearance as the front clip substructure is fully tilted up.
    Joel Heinke