Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Modern-day Miura

Quote Originally Posted by C5GTO View Post
    For the transaxle, we’re mocking up a custom bell housing/transfer case mated up to a Tremec TKO600 with a shortened output mated up to a Super 8.8 limited-slip differential carrier from a 2015+ Mustang IRS all these components meshed up with custom made helical gears.
    I guess it's safe to say you've abandoned the idea of all the rotating parts operating in a parallel plane.

The transverse gm 5.3 v8 with the auto box or gmf40 Manual would be the easy choice

Post What chassis to use?

When I first started thinking about building a Miura, I hadn’t seen any chassis used for home builds of the Miura except the Fiero. The Miura build using the Fiero required lengthening the wheelbase and ended up using very little of the Fiero in the end. No offense meant to those who’ve used a Fiero as the basis of their car projects but this felt like a very hacky way to go about building a Miura so I eliminated that chassis option right away.

The next alternative I looked at was to build it myself. Hey, I’ve designed and built a tube chassis for the C5 GTO and already have all the tools, including a chassis jig, needed to do it. Alternatively, I could build a chassis from sheet steel like they did at the Lamborghini factory if I got myself a power shear and a big box/pan brake. Hey, I’m always up for learning some new things.

Then I was poking around on the Mad Mechanics forum and came across a car called a Chupacabra. I’d never heard of that car before so I didn’t pay it any attention at first. Then I kept seeing mentions in the recent posts section and words like “aluminum” and “chassis” caught my eye. So being the curious person I am, I clicked into the thread which mostly announced new videos in a series of videos posted on YouTube. What the heck, I took a look at a video, then another, then another…

It turns out the Chupacabra is a car being produced by Charley Strickland of Strickland Racing in Fort Worth, TX. Charley has been building Countach and Diablo replicas for some time and decided to build a similar car but of his own design, the Chupacabra. What really caught my eye was the all aluminum monocoque chassis that he’d designed and was preparing to manufacture for this car. It’s largely made from ¼ inch 5052 aluminum sheet cut on a 3 axis CNC router with indexing tabs/slots then fitted and glued together on a chassis table. I was impressed by all the thought that had been put into the thousands of details that go into a chassis for a car of this complexity.

I reached out to Charley and filled him in on my Miura project. I then asked if his chassis could be made to work for a Miura. Charley was already very familiar with the Miura as he’d owned and driven one in his younger days. Both the Chupacabra and Miura are mid-engined but the key difference is longitudinal engine versus transverse.

Charley and I have been iterating through some bulkhead/firewall placement options based on rim/tire sizing, engine/transaxle mockup progress and finally settled on a chassis sized for a 105.5% Miura. The planned wheel base is 104 inches where the regular Miura is 98.5 inches. This should result in a Miura with comfortable legroom fit for me and the space to mount a Coyote V8 transverse. So the answer on what chassis will be used is that I plan to use a Strickland Racing chassis for the Miura project. I plan to post some CAD renderings and pictures for the chassis and Charley plans to post videos as it goes through build process.

So plan in summary for the Miura project is:

• Plus sized Miura at 105.5% resulting in 104 inch wheel base
    • All aluminum car; monocoque chassis, engine, transaxle, and body all done in aluminum
    • Transverse mounted 5.0L Coyote DOHC 32 valve engine, 8 stack EFI, and 5 speed transaxle
    Joel Heinke
    Be original; don't be scared of being bold!

I cut both floorboards and backbones out today and will "Lay the keel" in the next day or two. The bulkheads will be cut tomorrow. It has been some time since I have posted a video on youtube, progress on this project will be posted there shortly. Everything I build is contracted, and it is rare to get a customer that not only agrees to let me publish their work, Joel has even encouraged it. It is also rare to work with someone that gets the sum of parts concept. There has been a month of conversation between Joel, myself, and his transaxle builder. I think we have nailed it.

How about using the voodoo engine instead to get that wonderful flat plane crank sound?

Quote Originally Posted by Casper View Post
    How about using the voodoo engine instead to get that wonderful flat plane crank sound?
    What is a voodoo engine?

Quote Originally Posted by 76mx View Post
    What is a voodoo engine?
    The engine from the mustang gt350. I guess it's really a cross plane crank, sorry for the confusion.

The engine from the mustang gt350. I guess it's really a cross plane crank, sorry for the confusion.
    Hmmm...the info I found after doing a search was that it is a variation of the Coyote with a flat plane crank and a bunch of other go fast goodies. Now getting a even firing engine was the whole purpose of looking at the V12s. I like everything I read about the Voodoo except it looks like it's only sold in the GT350 car itself. The crate engine that has all the Voodoo parts has everything but the flat plane crank. Oh, and the $19K price of the Aluminator crate engine and it doesn't have the even firing engine for that price.
    Joel Heinke
    Be original; don't be scared of being bold!

Hi Joel.
    Looking forward to the build, it sure is going to be a great car, considering your attention to detail.

Have you looked at the Lexus V12 motor? quite a inexpensive import " here in SA at least", & just a fantastic sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i7ku5OFa3U

Cheers
    Jose'

Quote Originally Posted by C5GTO View Post
    Hmmm...the info I found after doing a search was that it is a variation of the Coyote with a flat plane crank and a bunch of other go fast goodies. Now getting a even firing engine was the whole purpose of looking at the V12s. I like everything I read about the Voodoo except it looks like it's only sold in the GT350 car itself. The crate engine that has all the Voodoo parts has everything but the flat plane crank. Oh, and the $19K price of the Aluminator crate engine and it doesn't have the even firing engine for that price.
    Here's one with 2k miles.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/2K-miles-2017...oAAOSwjylaptNh