Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going to make a kit car magazine.

Going to make a kit car magazine.

Several friends and I are going to start up a magazine dedicated to the kit car industry all over the United States. I'm hoping it will kick off in a blast and that people would enjoy reading all the article's that will be written(type) on it. I recently have gotten out of the Japanese import scene and I'm leaning towards European and American branded car's. But I've been noticing that a lot of the last generation of Japanese cars has a certain feature that can be applied to another car to make it more supercar or exotic feel.

So what you guy's think? I think I will have the first issue out on a website called issuu.com.

In spite of what I am about to say, best of luck and I look foward to your first issue. There is certainly a market for it, unfortunately a small one. As a long time advertiser and also author of several articles in the only current kitcar magazine, Reincarnation (formerly Carbuilder formerly Kitcar Builder formerly Kitcar formerly...), I think that doing this as a Labor of Love is one thing but doing it as a business is going to be difficult. As all of these magazines before you have seen, a magazine that had a maximum circulation of 35,000 just will not support the advertising dollars needed to be profitable. I do not mean to pile on, but I also think that your first order should be to hire a good Editor. Your four sentence Post has six grammar and punctuation errors. Having said all of that, I would still be glad to contribute.
    Last edited by 76mx; 09-14-2018 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 76mx View Post
    In spite of what I am about to say, best of luck and I look foward to your first issue. There is certainly a market for it, unfortunately a small one. As a long time advertiser and also author of several articles in the only current kitcar magazine, Reincarnation (formerly Carbuilder formerly Kitcar Builder formerly Kitcar formerly...), I think that doing this as a Labor of Love is one thing but doing it as a business is going to be difficult. As all of these magazines before you have seen, a magazine that had a maximum circulation of 35,000 just will not support the advertising dollars needed to be profitable. I do not mean to pile on, but I also think that your first order should be to hire a good Editor. Your four sentence Post has six grammar and punctuation errors. Having said all of that, I would still be glad to contribute.
    I understand the situation about getting an editor but I talk to one of my friend she is good at getting the grammar and punctuation errors. I already have some advertiser that is going to hop on board that I met on my way going from state to state. Yeah if you want to contribute your more then welcome to come on board. I just want my magazine to include reputable businesses to offer to the public. I want to verify businesses before putting onto my magazine.

76mx is about as reputable as it gets.

Quote Originally Posted by srd1 View Post
    76mx is about as reputable as it gets.
    Thank you SRD1. Satant Ram, I would be glad to provide to provide any references you want and expect the same from you. Since you are only taking reputable advertisers, I think you are making your project feasibility even more difficult. I do not see how you could possibly generate enough revenue with only three advertisers.

Is this going to be a physical magazine or online type? Looking forward to it as well.
    Posted via HTC or Windows 10. Images hosted on www.PixelsBin.com.

Well I am going to toss in my 2 cents. What kit car related experience do you and your friends currently have? What about industry connections? Im not saying that someone with no kit car experience cant start such as magazine, this is no small task. Reincarnation is as good as it gets in the states.They have a good amount of advertisers as well as the industry knowledge and experience. And they give out there magazine for Free.

Quote Originally Posted by Satant RaM View Post
    Several friends and I are going to start up a magazine dedicated to the kit car industry all over the United States. I'm hoping it will kick off in a blast and that people would enjoy reading all the article's that will be written(type) on it. I recently have gotten out of the Japanese import scene and I'm leaning towards European and American branded car's. But I've been noticing that a lot of the last generation of Japanese cars has a certain feature that can be applied to another car to make it more supercar or exotic feel.

So what you guy's think? I think I will have the first issue out on a website called issuu.com.

Quote Originally Posted by bangsters View Post
    Is this going to be a physical magazine or online type? Looking forward to it as well.
    Initially I wanted a physical magazine it to be sold in Barnes & Noble but other people suggested that I should start off as an online publishing.

Quote Originally Posted by slipondajimmy View Post
    Well I am going to toss in my 2 cents. What kit car related experience do you and your friends currently have? What about industry connections? Im not saying that someone with no kit car experience cant start such as magazine, this is no small task. Reincarnation is as good as it gets in the states.They have a good amount of advertisers as well as the industry knowledge and experience. And they give out there magazine for Free.
    When I was 17 years old back in 1996. I was searching for a car to drive daily back and forth. I really wanted a Nissan 300ZX twin turbo but it was out of my budget so I bought a Acura Integra instead with my own money paid $5,000 for it. My job title was a PC Technician working for a School District. I then move up to a different job title which is Network Technician then finally landed a better job as a Cisco Certified Network Administrator but the computer industry drop down and I was out of a job. During that time I bought an issue of Kit Car and wanted a replica Lamborghini Diablo. I got close but didn't have enough money to complete it. I bought a Pontiac Fiero in an Insurance Auto Auction, then bought a Lamborghini Diablo kit from IFG in Chino Hills, California. But I didn't do anything because I didn't have enough knowledge.

So I decided to venture in college as a Automotive Technician. I took several classes like Automotive Collision & Repair, A/C Repair, Engine Repair, Suspension & Steering, Engine Performance, Smog Technician, and so on. In Automotive Collision & Repair I brought in my project kit car in. A lot of my classmates help me on my car with stretching the frame and mounting the kit onto the car. But I didn't finish the project because the college decide to cancel the program with the collision class. So I brought it back to my home where my parent's didn't like me doing that kind of stuff to a car. So the car sat for year's till I sold it to some old guy came with a trailer.

After my friend and I was working on his Honda Civic hatchback. The professor didn't like us very much. So much that he kick me out of class so I end up getting a job at a motorsport place in Garden Grove, California. This is where I actually did 90% of the work was to do a conversion changing the steering wheel from the left to the right. A lot of my friend's from college couldn't believe that I actually completed it. So around town I was known to know how to do right hand drive conversion this was back in 2002.

I always go online to check out other people kit car build's or kit car business. But I was reading some lawsuit about certain kit car business got busted for making copies of Lamborghini & Ferrari. After a couple of months the kit car business website was gone. One by one each of the businesses was gone. I didn't see a kit car related site for year's. Till K1 Styling & Tuning came out with their kit that sorta look like the Ferrari Testarossa then finally to their own design with the Attack. My two friend's and I wanted a kit but didn't have enough for the entire thing. So I email K1 Styling & Tuning to sell me the exterior and interior pieces for $5,000 ship to California each. So they accepted the deal when it came down to sending the money. My friend Mike was broke, Vinnie barely have any money, and I got the $5,000 but the deal was to buy 3 of them. So my dreams of owning a K1 Attack went away.

So in 2007 I built my own car from the ground up well everyone around town say the car I built was a supercar. I took a 1995 Acura Integra sedan fabricate part's from a 1994 Honda Accord then mended to the Acura use different headlight's, custom made front bumper, custom side skirts, custom rear bumper, added a spoiler. The most dramatic thing I did to the Acura was adding the AWD(All Wheel Drive) to the car. In Los Angeles county I drift my Acura getting off the ramp and everybody was taking pictures I see flashes from their phone. From start to the end of the exit. My car was sliding sideways on a single lane and came back into the right spot back to normal.

Anyways, I got really popular with my Acura that I decided to put a name to it so I called it Cosmo Special Type R. I wanted to sell it to the kit car community but I was loving the publicity around town. I mean I get ladies jocking on my ride. I felt like a star that I didn't want to make another one. But someone stole it and I never got it back. So the idea of making part's off of it fade away. My family moved to a new place and I couldn't do car stuff anymore.

So here I am wanting to make a kit car magazine.

First post "Going to start up a magazine". Last post "Wanting to make a kitcar magazine". Before I start exchanging your required references and contributing content, are we just talking about this or is the first issue being prepared for publishing?