Thread: Booster/Master Cylinder Relocation

Booster/Master Cylinder Relocation

Hi All, Has anyone who has done a Fiero Lambo project ever moved the Booster/MC lower (towards the floor) for clearance purposes? I need to move it 1"-2" lower.

Thanks
    Tom

Although I have not lowered a Fiero Brake booster myself, I would look to see how to get the same leverage on the brake pedal as you have now in it's current position. Creating a form of pivots or articulated push rod arrangement to allow you move the reservoir and booster lower and still keep the push points the same on the pedal would be paramount. Thinking of something similar to how a shaft gear changer arrangement is put in place for a rear engine setup? Old Porsches are a good example to look at?

Where you put the reservoir and Booster is only limited by how you get the push rod setup to operate safely.

My thoughts only and post what you come up with.

Good luck
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Loosen the bolts that hold the brake booster and place a few washers on the top 2 bolts/studs between the firewall and the brake booster, this will tilt the booster. It may be enough to create the necessary clearance.

Gents. thanks for the great info and insights. I am going to mess around with it this weekend...I'll let you know the outcome

Tom

Don and msaby, so, I first read up on Pennocks about the S10 booster upgrade (a larger diameter booster). Based on the write up, a larger diameter booster would fit provided you "adjusted" the metal on the rail (read as hitting it with BFH). So, I removed booster and bracketry (inside passenger compartment). Used the hammer and then test fitted. Based on what I can see, here is the situation. I can move the booster lower by at least 1" but will have to modify slightly the pedal bracket inside the passenger compartment to clear the steering column universal. Geometry wise, everything stays intact, with the pedal being just 1" lower to the floor. I know this sounds like a lot of work but I would prefer doing this over modifying the suspension ( I will do that as a last resort). Thought I'd share how things went....so far. Next step...actually complete the move and reassemble.

Success! Knowing the larger S10 booster mod works in the Fiero I knew in theory it should work. So, subtracting the diameter of the Fiero booster from the S10 I knew I could lower it by 1 inch. So, made the measurements, drilled the holes...smacked the rail sheet metal (requirement for the S10) and it works. My initial concern was interference from the brake pedal bracket but turned out there is no clearance issue. So, if anybody asks....yes, you can moved the stock Fiero booster/master cylinder 1" lower (towards the floor).

Glad to hear it all worked out for you
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV