Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Electric Supercar

Yeah ...I am actually cutting up my K1 to make my own design (longer and wider) so that was just a reference pic. Anyway, I think you're really going to need to think about the rear suspension. A Tesla motor will produce a lot more torque, way more than the suspension was designed for. Small tires will help as they will spin but larger tires with more grip could be a real problem. Did you ordered your Tesla with a Quaife differential?

Cheers,
    Brian

My plan with the rear suspension is to keep the stock tesla suspension (control arms, etc.). I have sourced the entire tesla rear subframe. The only thing I am not sure about is the location of the strut tower and if the K1 shock absorber will be a good match. I did not order a motor with a Quaife differential. There were many points and counter points to this. It seemed that based on the control unit it was either recommended or not recommended. I am interested in your 3-D scans. Is that something that you can share?

Sure...What do you want a scan of?

What do you have? I would be interested in the shell and frame. I have 3D cad of the tesla motor

I haven't scanned the frame but I have 1/2 the body (you can mirror). Let me figure our were to post.

I am having trouble attaching pictures in this forum. I have CAD of the tesla rear subframe with the K1 frame overlay. The designed placement of the coilovers for the K1 look like they will be ~2in inboard of the stock tesla location. My plan is to change the mounting point of the coilover to match the location and angle of the stock tesla struts. The plan for the frame is all weld on (no cutting) to bring the frame to the four motor mounting points.

You can see in the last ~3 minutes of this YouTube video.
    https://youtu.be/eqOIkSRNeFY

Let me know if you can share the 1/2 body that I can throw on as well.

Suggestions?

Have you thought about buying a wrecked tesla, cutting off the body and building an exoskeleton type roll cage on what's left? I've seen several newer lexus, corvettes, and subarus modified in this way. This would also allow for keeping some of the creature comforts and technology of the tesla. There is a large demand for used parts from teslas since the only place you can really buy new parts is a physical dealer, so you could recoup money selling unused parts second hand as well.

https://www.copart.com/lot/33005499

Interesting thought. I am probably too far down the road for that on this build but seems like it could be a good idea.

Saw the video and on the surface your idea makes sense. The big question is ride height. Tesla doesn't use a standard A arm configuration and when you try to lower them from factory position they produce a lot of camber. Some like that look but its not for me.

Back to brakes...

I spoke with Wilwood and contacted Brembo. Here is the new plan for brakes.

*Ditch the brake booster - It was suggested that an electric vacuum pump would likely not be able to keep vacuum under repeated heavy braking (track or aggressive driving)
    *All manual setup
    *New brake pedal - New pedal 7:1 ratio (340-13834). Old pedal was 4.6:1
    *Master Cylinder - Tandem master cylinder 15/16 bore (260-13375)
    *Adapter - Tandem master cylinder adapter (250-3677)
    *Proportioning valve - 10mm-1 (260-12627)

Additional suggestions are welcome.