Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Electric Supercar

Tesla front and back? One thing to think about is the weight of the batteries. Not sure the amount your planning on using but it will effect the overall suspension.

Just the back. The overall weight of the car will be roughly the same as what the suspension was designed for (maybe +10%). I figured vehicle dynamics, cornering, turn-in, etc. would be fine with the front kit suspension. The rear, I had some of the same concerns about the amount of torque the different motor would have and that it would wreak havoc on the rear suspension. I figured I would keep the entire rear subframe from the Tesla (including control arms, spindles, rotors, etc.). This way as long as I join the subframe securely to the kit frame we should be good. With the different vehicle dynamics (Tesla vs. Kit) I have been thinking about swapping out the air struts with coilovers but haven't crossed that decision yet.

Starting on Tesla motor cooling system.

For those wanting more details
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KviMFySdezc

Good to know your thinking about the cornering effects. While I admit that I haven't done the load analyst on the original K1 front suspension, with your setup your going to be able to generate a great deal more cornering force.

Side story. I had built a Porsche 356 in which I installed a Subaru 2.0 turbo engine. The weight did not increase much but my power and torque increase dramatically. I ended up having problems with the front wheel bearings and ended up having to machine new spindles. Not saying this will happen to you but something to watch out for.

Thanks for the heads up.