Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BMW V8 powered T-bucket build, Supercharged & Nitrous.

BMW V8 powered T-bucket build, Supercharged & Nitrous.

Hello fellow Gearheads, I've been lurking the forum for a while now and wanted to share pics of my currently in progress project. The frame & body are mail order from Speedway Motors. I did so in order to get a Manufactures Statement of Origin (MSO) in hopes of getting a VIN number a smoother process with my local hierarchy. Given my particular drivetrain choice ordering a bare frame without crossmembers or mounts made more sense and was cheaper to start with.

But first, I started with just an engine short block:

Late 90's BMW 4.4L V8 (M62B44)

Also picked up an early 90's complete dismantler take-out BMW 4.0L (M60B40) to sacrifice it's heads, timing set up, OBD1 timing covers and other misc hardware:

It is said the earlier 4.0L V8 has bigger valves & cams compared to the later 4.4L variant of the engine.

Sent the heads out to the local machine shop for a cleaning, surface & valve job. Decided to start measuring the short block & rotating assembly for final compression ratio. Found the pistons to have a slight dish to them and they sit above deck:

Last edited by Mykk; 07-21-2019 at 10:41 AM.

Heads back from the machine shop:

Measuring combustion chamber cc, found roughly 52cc combustion chambers

Given the head gasket thickness, by my calc static compression lands around 9.6:1

The supercharger is an Eaton M112. The SC, intercoolers & injection is from a late 90's Jaguar sitting on adapters to bolt down to the BMW heads. Aiming for 8psi-10psi of boost.

Last edited by Mykk; 07-21-2019 at 10:41 AM.

Degree'ing in the cams:

Using cam timing blocks to line the cams in factory settings I've found that:

@.1mm lift:
    Intake opens 12 BTDC / Intake closes 48 ABDC
    Exhaust opens 48 ABDC / Exhaust closes 12 ATDC

240/240 duration -108 intake centerline / 108 lobe separation

When it was all said and done I set up the cams for a 112 ICL and a 110 LSA, retarding the intake cams a bit to lower dynamic compression and aid in keeping the charge in the cylinder by reducing overlap.

Of course what franken-engine isn't complete without nitrous. Really I am after the IAT cooling affects using the nitrous so the jets will remain relatively small, but it will be a two stage dry shot. The EFI controller is capable of increasing injector pulsewidth for the added fuel while nitrous is activated.

The frame, Speedway Motors bare T frame

The body, Speedway Motors stardard '23 fiberglass body. I opt'd to not get a channeled body in hopes of increasing some interior room. Also a reproduction '32 Ford grill.

Rear end of choice, 70's Jaguar independent rear

The transmission is a mid 90's BMW 6spd manual, the Getrag 420G using a lightweight flywheel and a 265mm clutch from a E34 5 series.

The body pieces are currently away for paint. I've got some cutting and reworking of the drivers side header to clear the steering. In the next couple of weeks I'll start tackling the electrical and wiring. The goal is to have a running & driving vehicle by the end of 2019. I just wasn't planning on being half way through the year already. Be sure to check back for updates. Thanks for checking out my project.
    Last edited by Mykk; 07-21-2019 at 09:56 AM.