Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ferrari F40

Hi so your going to get a Fiero based F40,do you mind me asking what sort of price you have to pay for one also you mentioned extensive modifications, would you not consider building your own one ? , where are you based. I picked up my 308 chassis in England and I think it’s possible to get another if you’re interested. I start having the suspension built this weekend and my wheels have just arrived today.

Oh yes I’m well into it Steve, can’t wait ��������, any pictures off yours ?

Raf, I am not good with computers! Pm me your email address, and I will send you some pictures of mine. Steve

Great to see plasticfantastic in here! Read a lot on your build.

Raf...I think I can pick this thing up for under 3 grand, maybe 2. It has sat a long time. Kinda discarded. It's not in terrible shape but typical US F40 kit. Nose needs corrected (shortened) so I'd tube the front with a shorter one and cut up the nose to fit. Design a new rear frame also. It's 350 converted but I got an idea for a 3.0 V6 twin turbo from a Mitsu VR4. Just checking into everything b4 I decide to buy it. Chances are I will.

Quote Originally Posted by stevep914 View Post
    I had posted a lot about my F40 originally, as I was going through an importation nightmare, getting it into Mexico from Canada. Got that done after 3 years stuck at the US/ Mexico border. After that spent 3 years reworking the wiring and redoing the interior ( mice got at it while it sat outside in a storage compound.) Is looking and driving very good now, but needs a new rear stepglass, and THAT has become a big problem ( see my post on Consumer Opinions) I will say that driving it is a blast, and the attention it gets here can be overwhelming. Nobody has ever seen one here. Being an ex SCCA racer, this car makes me want to take it up and track it at Brainerd on the 3 mile track I used to race at. It is stuck on rails with the stiff suspension and wide tires. Just a note: mine has 16 inch rims, and you will NOT find the 315/40R 16 tires for the rear anywhere anymore. You will have to go to 17 or larger rear rims. Can still get the 245 fronts on 16 inch. My advice: go for it! A lot of work, but the end result will make you proud! Steve
    What a nightmare Steve! Glad it worked out for you. I seen you been trying to find a rear window. Hope you can get ahold of one. I think 18's would be a good size and tire options. The Gas Monkey F40 looked good with that size.

Quote Originally Posted by Raf007 View Post
    Hi just recently joined this forum and am about to start building an F40 replica and advice would be welcome and parts ,I'm building mine using a 308 chassis which I have and for now I'm going to run an Audi v8 with a 01e gearbox,that's where I am at the moment. Raf
    What can you tell us about the drive train your planning. It seems the back of the F40 is so short it's very limited to the trans choices.

I’m going to use the Audi V8 with an 01e gearbox, I have measured it and it seems ok, I intend to start this work after Christmas, at the moment doing the suspension

F40

Quote Originally Posted by Raf007 View Post
    Iím going to use the Audi V8 with an 01e gearbox, I have measured it and it seems ok, I intend to start this work after Christmas, at the moment doing the suspension
    Raf, I have emailed you some current pictures of my car. A decent example of a Fiero based F40 with a fair bit of customizing. It has real Veglia 328 gauges in it, and an interior in leather; gray suede and red seats with the Ferrari logo embroidered on the headrests. Drives solid at high speed due to lowered stiff suspension, although harsh on our less than stellar roads down here. Steve