Thread: New Transaxle pairing with foreign engine

New Transaxle pairing with foreign engine

I am starting to layout the general plan of my dream build and I just wondered how does the whole pairing work ?
    I understand the whole adapter plate thing but do you need a custom clutch that somehow matches both the engine and tranny ?
    Also what about the transmission sensor ? How would it communicate with a foreign ECU and how would the ecu communicate with the speedometer gauge ?

( If anyone is wondering , the build would ideally consist of a VW based kit car , 13B rotary , Subaru 5 Speed TY Transmission)

Ryosuke, Yes you will also need the clutch, flywheel, and starter that matches everything together. Eric at kitcarchassis.com is the guy to see for all of that. For the speedo, use a $100 GPS sender instead of the $200 transmission sender and you will eliminate your sender problem as well as $100 in build cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryosuke View Post
    I am starting to layout the general plan of my dream build and I just wondered how does the whole pairing work ?
    I understand the whole adapter plate thing but do you need a custom clutch that somehow matches both the engine and tranny...
    Ryosuke, as 76mx said above, all of those parts have to mate with some pretty tight tolerances. Obviously the bell housing has to be able to bolt to the engine; then, whatever clutch/pressure plate you choose has to have the holding power for your engine, and it has to physically fit inside the bellhousing without interference both depth-wise and diameter; the flywheel (which is engine specific) has to fit into the transmission bellhousing too; the clutch disk also has to have the correct number of splines to mate to your transmission input shaft, and the hub of the disk can't interfere with the pressure plate fingers (if you're mix-matching pressure plates and disks, which you may have to in order to get a physical fit); the location of the ring gear on the flywheel (which is mounted to the engine) must be within the reach and alignment of the starter's pinion gear (which is typically mounted to the transmission), and the teeth of the pinion must be of the same pitch as size as the ring gear; and the throw-out bearing must have enough travel to disengage the clutch when extended, yet not so much that it keeps constant pressure on the clutch release fingers when released. In short, there's a lot to consider if you're going out on a limb and doing something no one else has done before.

If you want a better picture of the issues you'll have to consider, scroll down to post #13 in my blog here: https://bloozeown.weebly.com/powertr...y/transmission
    I mated a six speed manual transmission to a Cadillac Northstar engine (they only ever came with automatics) and went through many of the same thought processes as you are now.