Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sabretooth

Sabretooth

Well, after having previously purchased "off the shelf" kits, I decided to create my own. I'm quite a way through now & have been keeping a diary of progress. Over the next few weeks I will post progress. Hope you like it

Looking forward to it!

Is it a scratch build (frame up) or a panel build (DNA of old?). I’m guessing from Britland, a frame build IVA is getting more and more difficult to pass these days.

It's a panel build based on a BMW Z4. I would start to add some photos, however I seem to be blocked from adding photos at the moment.

The starting point a clean Z4:
    https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApUpxxXVaLqYrxHgW65E5ROUmqkq

Photos have to be stored on a share site unless you are a full member (or at least I think you used to be if you were a full member!)

Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Iíve enjoyed watching the Tribute Automotive development of the 250 and currently the 60s style car based on a Z3.

In the US (where I live now) itís expensive to buy any sports car as most states donít have a rigorous inspection, so they tend to hold their value better. Finding a z3 or z4 for less that $5k that isnít a complete pile, former salvage or has space shuttle mileage, is a pretty tough task.

Years ago I brought a DNA kit over to the US (I had just moved here from the UK) and that wasnít too bad. Buying a cheap MR2 spyder (mk3) was near impossible at the time though!

Thanks MunkyKing, I'll start dropping photos ito teh cloud & including links.

Next step after buying the Z4 was to strip it back. Haven't got a good photo of this. But i guess we all know what a stripped back car looks like!

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApUpxxXVaLqYrxLl...e_JQQ?e=1xatfX

So I've told you the choice of donor, but I guess I haven't said anything bout the build.
    My guess is , it is now about 80% complete. I'll drop some photos here, once I've sorted out the photos & worked out the best way to show the progress on the car. My gut feel is that a straight forward timeline will not work. Maybe I'll focus on a particular part of the car.

For now I'll just tell you of the aim.
    I was looking for a prototype look, wanted to car to look "production" & have some quirky features (still looking at the BMW Z1 door option).

That#s it for now time for get some photos sorted.

OK - where to start?
    I'll create directories of the components & then create some video clips of the whole car.
    Lets start with the bonnet development.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApUpxxXVaLqYrxNs...60khv?e=RoFrWw

I recognize that prototype build style... There’s only one person I know of that builds the buck like that!
    Are you getting someone else to build it or have you finally decided to get an account on here?

Either way, I know it’s going to be a good quality kit!

If you mean Brian & Ash then you're spot on! I've had a kit from them before & I think they have by far the best build quality.
    I knew my skill was well below what would be required & so I went to a few car shows to see what was being built before discussing it with Brian.

We've just passed the 1st mould & that is now back on the donor.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApUpxxXVaLqYrx8BHEHmE3A7iNYL