Thread: Foam used to make fiberglass molds

Foam used to make fiberglass molds

Hello everyone, been gone for a while but its great to be back. well i have a question that needs addressing. im looking for foam used to make fiberglass molds. i saw a guy use this stuff on monster garage to make cool curves on a boat that ;D they made into a car. well my question is where do i find foam like this, who makes it, and is it as eazy to work with as they make it seem. well thanks in advance hope to hear from u all.

Re:Foam used to make fiberglass molds

Any fiberglass supply house will have it ,allot of boat supply business's as well ..it is used for flotation in the hulls, etc, in boats too...it is fairly expensive ...comes in two containers A&B ...mix in equal parts ...starts to expand fairly quickly ...read all saftey precautions ....you do not want to get this stuff on your hands ...into your eyes ,etc ...but it is fun to experiment with ...john

The foam used on Monster garage was urethane foam. You can buy sheets of it at Lowes and Home Depot, but be careful. My local Home Depot only has poly foam, so make sure it is urethane. Boat supply/manufacturing might be better for large blocks.
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

AB compound foam is the expanding foam they used to fill
    pontoons. you can buy it in $4 spray cans or go big for about
    $80 for a big container of each.
    The spray cans will fill something the size of a basketball from
    my experience. The problem is the bubbles that form when it
    expands, which means you need to put something smoother
    on top and then sand it down. :P
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

The foam at home depot and lowes is isasuranite foam,not a true urethane,but polyester resin won't hurt it,it's softer to sand than 2 pound density urethane for boat building but about one third the cost also,the foam will have a gold or brownish color with a foil skin on it,just peel off the foil glue a few pieces together to the thickness you want,and start carving!!!! wear a mask as the dust is nasty and will give you a mother of a sore throat,you can touch up holes and nicks with great stuff foam in a can.
    MIKE

Quote Originally Posted by MADMIKE
    The foam at home depot and lowes is isasuranite foam,not a true urethane,but polyester resin won't hurt it,it's softer to sand than 2 pound density urethane for boat building but about one third the cost also,the foam will have a gold or brownish color with a foil skin on it,just peel off the foil glue a few pieces together to the thickness you want,and start carving!!!! wear a mask as the dust is nasty and will give you a mother of a sore throat,you can touch up holes and nicks with great stuff foam in a can.
    MIKE
    ;D Do you know an EASY way to get the &#!$*## foil off the foam. Thanks in Advance.

It peels pretty easy,but you'll find it peels easier in one direction than the other,must be how it was glued on.
    MIKE ??? :