Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paddle Shifter

Paddle Shifter

Does any one think it is possible to get paddle shifting in our cars?

Thanks,
    Tom

(sorry so short i m in a hurry)

Re:Paddle Shifter

That is always a big conversation on Pennocks. There are those who say it can be done and use a lot of technical words to prove how.. I don't understand it personally...

Try a search over there and see what you come up with...
    http://www.fiero-performance.com/misc/songman355a.gif      Fiero-Performance.com      [url=http://www.fiero-performance.com/coastrun/]2nd Annual California Coast Run[/url

Quote Originally Posted by Stupid_Kid
    Does any one think it is possible to get paddle shifting in our cars?

Thanks,
    Tom

(sorry so short i m in a hurry)
    HEHEHE! How much money have you got to spend??? You could do it, but you'd better have a 'custom' wallet!javascript:replaceText(' ')
    javascript:replaceText(' ')
    Sandy

Well i didn't know how much it would cost. I don't know how it works. I guess i will have to look it up later on tonight.

Thanks,
    Tom

I can't see it being a huge deal to add a paddle shifter to the fiero. If I had the $$$ and time, I'd do it. You could get the engine and trany out of a new Grand Prix with the paddle style shifter and install it into the fiero using most of the GP hardware. It would cost more because it's a 2004 car and kinda rare to find a wrecked one.

Now, if you were going with another engine config. that would make it harder, but the 3800SC is choice for a 355 replica in my book. Better gas milage, lower ins., sounds more like the real thing. When I first started looking at replica 355s I saw a bunch with the V-6s and wondered.....why would you build a car like that and only install a V-6. But I've seen the advantages to the V-6 and like them. I had a LT1 engine I could have installed in my kit but sold it recently with the plan of going the v-6 route.

I think the 3.4TDC is closer to the sound of the real one... That's why I chose it.. Plus, I love the look of it.
    http://www.fiero-performance.com/misc/songman355a.gif      Fiero-Performance.com      [url=http://www.fiero-performance.com/coastrun/]2nd Annual California Coast Run[/url

Quote Originally Posted by Songman
    I think the 3.4TDC is closer to the sound of the real one... That's why I chose it.. Plus, I love the look of it.
    That's true I think it is too, I just think the 3.4 would need more work (and in turn more $$$) than a 3800SC to get to 300HP. I could be wrong, I haven't looked into increasing the HP of the 3.4 because I'm not at the point ($$$) of doing an engine swap. If I could get a reliable 3.4 to 300HP for the same price I would consider it. I really like the sound of DKOV's 3.4!

What in the heck is a paddle shifter? :-\

Quote Originally Posted by BondoBob
    What in the heck is a paddle shifter? :-\
    It's where you have two paddles attached to the back side of the steering wheel. One controls the up-shift and one controls the down-shift. No clutch just a small stick in the center console to control putting it in drive reverse, and nutral. It's like the new tiptronic shifters a lot of car manufactures are using on on the steering wheel rather then center console. A lot (or all) of Formula 1 cars use this type of shifters. Ferrari uses paddle shifters for the F1 355s.

Here are some pics:

notice the paddles on the sides behind the steering wheel.

notice in the center console where the shifter should be.

expensive is an understatement. the paddle shifter assembly
    from the new mr2 is $9800!!!!!!!!!!! thats $4k less than whole
    1999 used mr2s... nuts!
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com