Thread: Fiberglass Type/Weight

Fiberglass Type/Weight

Anybody know what's the best fiberglass mat/cloth type and weight to build automobile body parts????? Thank you

Re: Fiberglass Type/Weight

Guess I better answer this one...I use polyester resin and 1&1\2 ounce mat. On smaller parts like hood scoops or spoilers we use 2-3 layers of mat. On heaver larger parts we would use 2 to three times this amount with additions of balsa wood, marine plywood,or metal for strength.
    And the joke is,<br />when he awoke his,<br />body was covered in Coke fizz !

Thank you....

Is mat better than cloth or it's just used in different way or different projects? I thought cloth is stronger, is this true?????

yes cloth is stronger but it's not flexible. if you've ever watched structural CF being laid out, first of all they never use CF mat (if that even exists) since cloth is woven and will not separate unless given extreme loads, important in CF chassis work. the big issue is cutting up thousands of little bits in order to fit a compount curve like a car body and doing it cheap and fast.
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

I like to use 3 layers of mat & back it up with a layer of fine cloth (on the bigger peices). Of course I'm assuming on peices like hoods & such they have an inner panel to reinforce them (if they don't they need to be thicker, unless it's for racing). The cloth makes the part tear/rip-proof, & reinforces it.
    ~ Paul
    aka "Tha Driver"
    ~ Paul<br />aka &quot;Tha Driver&quot;<br /><br />Giggle Cream - it makes dessert *funny*!