Thread: Countach Headlight motor install help

Countach Headlight motor install help

Hi again all! Yet another topic From me again. I am waiting for rebuild parts from Rodney for my headlight motors. While I wait, I am trying to figure out how to install these into the car. I found some diablo brackets that are working for me but the question right now is: Where do I connect the lift arm to the pod? Do I just drill through the side of the pod and use a 1/4 20 bolt? The glass on the sides doesn't look like it will take the stress of holding the assembly either up or down. Especially while driving over rough roads. I was thinking of glassing in a 11 gauge plate on that side if this is the preferred method of atachment. I found some good pics and info on other project sites, but nothing specific to the Countach. I have a IFG kit if that matters. We already know that the video sucks! No help there either. ???

Re: Countach Headlight motor install help

Hey Larrybud, yea I am with you on this one....matching IFG problems. I currently have mine with the setup you describes...1/4 20. I will probably glass in some metal reinforcement and use that inner lower mounting point. Lets see what everyone else has used...maybe they have a better idea.
    Lambobro

Re: Countach Headlight motor install help

I have glassed in steel plate that runs along the whole bottom of the pod, So the steel picks up the pivot point of the bucket and the motor lift arm. The stress of the motor / arm will crack the glass eventually if you do not add some steel to the pod.

Re:Countach Headlight motor install help

I used 1/4 28 hiem style bearings for the linkage. Tight, smooth operation. I welded a 1x4in. plate to the side of the j-hinge to mount the linkage. To get everything tight in the up and down position, I welded 1/2in. sq. tube to the j-hinges w/ a 1/4 20 nut welded to it. In the down position the bolts in tubing can be adjusted to align the bucket, with the tension of the motor,this also keeps it from bouncing. The up position is the same but I used 1/8x1in. steel with a nut welded to them. The steel was bent into approx. 1x1 L bracket, then also welded to the j-hinge. There is still slop in between but the buckets are very tight in the full up or down position.

??? The 1/2 inch tube is on the opposite arm as the pushrod? The bolt is hitting where? The fender/hood? I like this idea better than the reinforcing that I installed. Now if I can just keep from ruining the J arms. Maybe I will try bolting them together? Also,,,my gap in the back of the pods to the fender is about twice what the fronts are. I don't want to increase the front gap just to make it look even. Does anyone know if this is that noticeable? The pics I see usually have the lights going straight up instead of back and up like mine do. 8)

I went with the glassed in angle iron in the corner approach. The brackets allow for adjustments and it appears to be very stiff both up and down. Did you hear that? I now have a UP and a DOWN,,,,,UP<DOWN<UP<DOWN,,,,,I am so freaking giddy!!!!! Like we've said before,,,,,it's the little things.