Thread: ????s for fiberglass guys

????s for fiberglass guys

Can you bond fiberglass to metal and what would you use?? This is for another project I might be starting. The problem I see is the area I'm bonding is only about 4" wide and tapers to about 1" over a 2' length. I'm worried about it cracking apart in time. Is this avoidable??

TIA,
    Ron

Re: ????s for fiberglass guys

I n my experience over the long term I have never seen a* project* like you describe ,a fiberglass piece* such as a hood scoop ,wheel flare ,etc bonded over and* *blended into metal* to look like one piece not show* some cracking .I think its just that two different* materials expand and contract at different rates and end up pushing apart* over time .Depending on where you live you might have a little more sucess.But in the north ecspecially where you get repeated deep freezes* *in the winter* it would make it* worse ..There are some excellent products out there these days and some very strong epoxy resins and bonding agents* for trying tho ...good luck ..john

I have bonded fiberglass to metal before and you want to use an epoxy, not a polyester resin (less shrinkage with epoxy). Also you should scuff the metal or even score or drill little holes or partial holes in the metal if you can for the epoxy to grab. If you have stuff called micro (microscopic spheres of glass) to mix in with epoxy to get peanut butter consistancy to put on the metal first and that will help bite into the metal. If you have a pic that would help.

Good luck.
    Jason

When I get home tonight I'll post a picture. THX for the info so far guys.

I have always been told that if you bond metal to fiberglass that it will show through and possibly crack the fiberglass.

If you put cardboard between the metal and fiberglass, that will help keep it from printing. Another option is to bond it using a urethane adhesive. That will give it some cushion. I'm not sure exactly what kind should be used. I think it's windshield adhesive.
    Rick Lord<br />http://www.kingdomcustoms.com<br />http://www.desertlord.com/galleries/.../signature.jpg

You can successfully bond fibreglass to metal with a flexible, sandable 2 part polyurethane glue. Araldite used to make KP36 which was a great product. I am sure they have an updated product now that it is 20 years later. I have seen a race car with the flares bonded on this way last for over 20 years without cracking. Previous to that the owner had rolled the car in a accident and ripped the flares off next to the join. The piece of fibreglass bonded to the metal stayed intact with no cracking of the metal to glass joint.

3M pannel bond will work with bonding metal to fiberglass,and metal to metal.Just make sure you grind off the paint on both serfices to be bonded,or you will be bonding paint to paint

Cool, thanks for the info guys. I'm trying to sell my commuter car 94 Integra and get back into my big 94-96 Impala SS type car. I had one before but it was totalled after an accident. I bought it back and have the custom parts to put onto another one when I get it. The part I need to bond it a wing onto the trunk lid. Here are a couple of pictures:

Thanks again for the info guys,
    Ron