Thread: Closed Cell Foam for Dash / Door Panel Project

Closed Cell Foam for Dash / Door Panel Project

Hi Everyone,

Can someone give me an idea of the best closed cell foam (or preferred) to use for a custom door panel / dash / console-sides project I'm working on? I know that it seems Ken / WraithInnovation (off the top of my head) as well as others seem to have quite a bit of knowledge with these things.

In the past, I've used EVA (Ethylene Vinyl Acetate) and a Cross-Linked Polyethylene and I think one other type.* It's been so long I can't remember which would be a better choice.*Or if there is anyting "new and exciting to use".* I've been looking at this* Volara closed cell foam as well recently.

I have some scraps from before and it looks like I used 1/8" for the door panels in the past and for the sides of a console (and then covered both with vinyl).* This is what I can't remember:

1. What type of glue I used.* I think I used PVC glue with the EVA (I think).* Can anyone help?

2. do you think 1/8" foam for the dash is do thin ?* I keep thinking I should use 1/4".* The vinyl (with the U.V. Inhibhitors of course) does "squash it down" pretty good but I don't want it too "thick looking".

Any tips on this would be a great help. I'm leaning toward the 1/4".

Previous Builds: AF - 308 Replica w/ V8 & GM F-body Testarossa Replica
    Current Toys: 308 V8 Project #2, 91 V-12 Jaguar XJ-S Coupe. 1983 Hurst\Olds, 1979 Trans/AM - 468CID Bracket Car.

Re: Closed Cell Foam for Dash / Door Panel Project

I am using 1/8" 'black closed cell' on the dash and 1/4" 'white closed cell' on the flats of the door panels.. on the contoured parts of the door panels i'm using the 1/8" Console will get 1/4" I use a product called Tack-It its a high-temp spray adhesive that works very well. Using pad this thin be sure to have a perfect or close to perfect surface to start with.. Do all bodywork because any flaw will show thru. good luck!
    Just smart enough to be very Dangerous

Re: Closed Cell Foam for Dash / Door Panel Project

I agree,

With that thickness of Closed Cell Foam, I would imagine that every little imperfection would show right through.
    Previous Builds: AF - 308 Replica w/ V8 & GM F-body Testarossa Replica
    Current Toys: 308 V8 Project #2, 91 V-12 Jaguar XJ-S Coupe. 1983 Hurst\Olds, 1979 Trans/AM - 468CID Bracket Car.