Page 106 of 108 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106107108 LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,060 of 1073

Thread: Ferrari 288 GTO - BUILD - Project

Problem with this post for some reason. Reply with detail below.....
    Last edited by Don; 05-08-2018 at 01:25 AM.
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Been working on the engine bay and come to an decision point I am looking for some feedback on. The cooling out of the 96 3.4 points to the firewall so looking for a way to mount the cooling piping and filler. The 96 doesn’t have the filler on the engine so need to work a filler into the tube.

I put up three options and not sure what would fit up the best. Kind of leaning toward option 3 but of course, it is the most work…..

Option 1 uses an inline filler I got with a slight bend to put the filler toward the firewall and then have a 90* hose pointing down and either use a solid pipe out to the rocker tube or a rubber hose down. Puts the filler a bit under the rear window so thinking the filling of the coolant would be a bit of a bit of a pain.

Option 2 has the same inline filler but a 90* out toward the filter canister and then will have a 90* hose down out to the rocker. This gives better filing space but it might end up being in the way for the lid extension plate and maybe a possibility for the air cleaner intake area.

Option 3 uses the Fiero filler off a 4 banger and the 90* bend to place it beside the engine lid mount again but a bit to the sde so I am thinking away from the extension plate. It also puts the outlet straight down so I can cut the lower section off the filler and either bend up some pipe and weld to the bottom of the filler or get some hose that runs down and over to the rocker line.

I am leaning toward Option 3 as I think it will fit in there the best but of course the most work….

Thoughts all?

Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Also, I ran the wiring looms off the engine into the bay and over to where they are more or less supposed to go and this wiring harness is a disappointment…. Got this made by a guy from Pennock’s years ago and been packing it around for years and now go to use it and it needs adjusting… Some wires are too long and some are too short but it just isn’t fitting well enough for me. I took some pics and unfortunately they are hard to see but the harness needs to be reconfigured to fit better. The 500 connector lines barely make the run and they are hard around the corner of the engine,. I guess I need to take all the tape wrapping around the loom and the start running wires in the right locations compared to hanging down the middle of the engine bay to get it to fit to the connectors. Really disappointed after all these years.

So, this update says I am going to make sure it is done right which means a more time. Just can’t do it after all the work done so far. I figure a couple more weeks of wiring properly and then the cooling should be an easy setup maybe one more night. After that, I hook the gas tank up and put the battery up front and start it up. Figuring another month by the time I have done all of this and all the other stuff I need to do around the house.

308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Hey Don,

Good to see you making progress.

I'd personally go with option 3. This is something I did when I had the 3800. Not too difficult. I didn't have the decklid plates to worry about, though.

Bob
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

Always good to see new posts in this thread!
    Glad you are able to spend some time back on it, and thanks for the updates.

I'm with Bob on the filler neck...#3 looks like the most serviceable, even though you say it's the most work to pull off. You've not cut corners anywhere else on this build...but you're there and the one doing the work, you're the one left with the ultimate choice. I wish I could offer advice/suggestions based on experience, but I've not done this swap, and have never been faced with the problem. I know you'll do what will work best in the end.

Sorry to hear about the wiring harness let down....sometimes, you DON'T get what you paid for! I'm sure with you "finessing" it, it will end up being better than how it started.

Keep at it and don't stop with the updates, thanks again for taking the time.

Thanks for the feedback guys;

I am going to do Option 3 as it gives me the best use of the space I have. Have a $150 worth of various hoses with different angles that I will use to finish up the connections and then return most of them to the parts store. Already told the guy selling me the parts and he said no problem. He says that now. Let's see what he says when I take them all back.....

Wiring is always the least fun part of the build for me. I will have it all wrangled down soon though and hopefully not have to do it ever again.

More soon
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Nice project

Coolant line pretty much completed last night. Need a 1 1/2" to 1 1/4" reducer to match the hard line to the rocker line. Will get that on the way home tonight. Now on to the wiring......

Few pics. Turned out pretty good.

308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Looks great Don! Couldn't have been all that difficult...you got it done quick!LOL

Wiring....the bane of automotive repair/restoration. (at least for me!) But you'll get it exactly the way you want it before you are finished.

Thanks for the update!

Nice job, Don. Never had a doubt.

Bob
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif