Page 107 of 109 FirstFirst ... 75797105106107108109 LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,070 of 1090

Thread: Ferrari 288 GTO - BUILD - Project

Loving the updates Don, keep it coming.
    It's a never ending battle of making your cars better and also trying to be better yourself. - Dale Earnhardt Sr

Worked on the wiring again last night. I was really struggling with how close everything is and the wiring going into the cockpit is too close to the head for my comfort. Those heads really take up a lot of room.

I made up a strap to lock the engine harness up to the original Fiero location and then I planned on routing the engine harness down just underneath the second harness coming out from the cockpit. It was just to close and sloppy looking for my tastes.

So I made a wiring tray to mount on the firewall.

The tray will route toward the passenger side and turn down under the passenger engine lid mount and over to the battery location where I can then route the wires up to the C500 block and to the ignition coils. I also made an exit at the bottom that will be used for the engine wires. I felt this was a much nicer solution and took up less room and really cleaned the engine bay up. I need to do a bit of cutting of mounting tabs and then pull the wires out of the cockpit and take them out of the wall blocks and clean up the wires as I am pretty sure they are going to covered in that sealing goop. I will also unravel all the wring looms so that the wires will lie flat in the tray. Will line the tray with heat shield and will paint the track with the ceramic heat shield. I am also making a lid and putting small tabs along the outside to be able to screw the lid on. Sealed of course.

To do that, I am going to have to drop the engine down sooner than anticipated so I am going to get the heater pipes and the reducer on the cooling and finish that off today so I have that nailed.

More to come.
    Don

Had fun making the track. Was able to bend a few straight edges but after that had to do some metal shaping and weld the sides to the curved areas. Still need to seal the left end and cut the holes out for the through holes. Will be able to mount the wiring harness in and then put the engine back in to finalize the wire lengths.

Yellow lines are a representation of how the track will fit. Anything with a x needs to be removed. It roles down under the passenger engine lid mount nicely and follows the other wiring harness route pretty closely.
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

I ever say I am not crazy about wiring..... probably once or twice.....

So, rewiring my engine harness is now in full swing. I put the first rev of the wiring tray into place and started getting wires moved around and out of looms etc. and I just wasn't happy with the way the wiring was coming around the corner from the C500 block and into the tray so I ended up making a full tray end to end. Looks much better now and will really clean up the engine bay. I am making small wore run holders as well that will help keep the runs organized inside the tray as well.

Looks like most of my engine wires will need either lengthening or shortening so once I have the wire runs set up in the tray, I can see where I need to move the wires around. I think, instead of going under the engine for the back side wires, i will extend them and run them along the back firewall to the locations and then over to the engine connections. So much cleaner. Now that I have the tray built and a plan for the wiring, I can go out and buy a pile of wire to extend everything. I noticed in the loom I received so many years ago, I have different size wires within the runs as well. Will start as an 18 gauge and will go to a 16 and then possibly even a 20 and then back to something at the end. Also some heavy gauge and then splits into two smaller gauge to, I guess, carry the same current as that was all buddy had???? Again, will be fixed in the new wiring version.

A few pics

Did I ever mention i am not fond of wiring????

Full tray run so it will all be enclosed now from firewall to C500 block
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Your wiring tray looks great. As to the wiring....also one of my least favorite parts of repairs/restoration/builds. You are implementing one of the things I tried to impart to my sons when they were growing up and still living at home...."Take the part of any job that you like doing the LEAST...and get good at it...that way...the entire operation becomes somewhat enjoyable..or at the least..tolerable!" They usually just looked at me like I'd lost my last marble....and they may have been right...but in theory...it "sounds" good..at least to me.

Either way, you have done a stellar job on this entire car, just glad to see you still plugging away at it, even with the other projects you have ongoing.

Thanks again for the updates, and "one o' these days"....you'll be DRIVING that beauty!

Wiring is my favorite part.. I have built any 3800 swap harnesses and will be glad to help you any way I can.. if there is anyway I can be of help feel free to pm me.
    Very sweet built btw..

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Full tray run so it will all be enclosed now from firewall to C500 block
    What a great idea Don! I love it so much I'm going look into fabbing a similar wiring tray for my project car. How did you make the "walls" around the convoluted shape? You must've welded them on... unless it was made of soft aluminium and you hammer-formed them. Curious minds want to know!

Edit: never mind.... I should've read a bit further back before posting.
    Last edited by Bloozberry; 07-10-2018 at 09:31 PM.

Thanks guys;

Blooz;

It really makes the wiring in the engine bay a lot cleaner as there really is very little room on the firewall for everything to be coming out when you add in the overhead cam pieces of the engine. I have the wires run and see what I nee to extend and replace so now I know what gauge wire I need to go get. Lots of it too if I can find different coloured wiring.

More to come as it all gets fed through and extended over the next couple days

Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    ...now I know what gauge wire I need to go get... if I can find different coloured wiring.
    If you don't mind using used wires, the best place to get multi-coloured multi-gauge wire is at the junk yard.

Thanks guys;

I have a local shop that has a pile of different sizes and colours so can get by with what I have I think. I plan to rerun the wires a bit more cleanly in the tray so it will be easier to trace the routes if there are issues in the future. I put all the intended wires into the tray last night and sued some temp plates to hold everything in and I think it will work out well. Looks like I need to extend about 15 odd wires and shorten maybe 25-30..... Not too bad in the overall scheme of life on this project.

I think the hardest part of this will be tracing the wire on the new harness and confirming what wire size is needed in the existing loom and making sure that is what is being run versus the hodgepodge I have going in the there now....

More to come and thanks for the feedback and options.

Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV