Page 109 of 109 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109
Results 1,081 to 1,090 of 1090

Thread: Ferrari 288 GTO - BUILD - Project

I finished up bending the conduit to route the power cables from front to back. Now I am into the front compartment to move the battery up front and connect everything back up. I don't want to do the normal Fiero front battery relocation where you cut a big square out of the front compartment wall and put in a fiberglass or metal insert which need to reroute your front brake lines etc. I want to keep the front compartment water tight as bets I can so I looked through a bunch of options over on Pennock's and came up with a fellow that built a battery box that mounts in the spare tire/rim. You turn the spare over and the battery sits in the middle of it. I currently have the oem washer fluid bottle there so I bought a new washer bottle and will mount it off to the side. Never really truly my solution for the washer bottle from the beginning anyway so this doesn't break my heart.....

I have been using some new software, AutoCAD Fusion 360 (3d design software. Very cool and pretty easy to learn.), for some other projects so I thought I would take a run at the battery box in it as well. Best of all, for hobbyists, it is free. There is a new piece of functionality in the software for sheet metal working models. It is very cool. You design out your object in 3d in the sheet metal model space and then when done, you select the flat pattern option and it unfolds the model into a flat pattern. You can then either export CNC code to get it water jet or plasma cut or you can use it to add in dimensions and draw it up on your own sheet metal. I might try to find a local water jet shop and see how much to cut it out for me. An image of the drawing I made out of the 3d object I created. Still need to put the mount plate onto the back side where it fits into the spare tire but a good start for a couple evenings of messing around. I also need to get better at manipulating the dimension function as it was a quick setup to see how to do it in the image below.

Anyway, using that software is very interesting and I am quite enjoying it.

Thanks
    Don

308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Battery box is cut out and bent. I modified my bench top brake as every time I have used it, the retaining bar kept sliding. I decided to add in several bolts to hold it down. Through different locations along the brake, I can hold the piece down very close to the edges. With the battery box, I was even a bit luckier that the lightening holes I put in allowed me to bolt down all along the piece. I was able to bend the battery box metal which is 14 gauge and the brake is supposed to be only good up to 16 gauge. Nothing thicker than 14 gauge though.

The box is all bent now and ready to be welded. Unfortunately, I can't measure and ended up with the front plate having the lug holes to small. Now I either need to make a new front plate and weld it on or do some corrections to the existing plate to lower the cable holes and insert some metal where there is now lightening holes. I will make a call when I go out there in a bit tonight. Hole to have the full box finished and mounted tonight.

A few pics.

You can see where I can't measure......

308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Box is welded and battery fit in nice and snug.

Made the mounting piece fo rteh rim that bolts to the normal whell lug holes. Then did a bunch of measuring and found that the fiero front compartment front is leaned 40* forward. So, back to the bench and cut up some braces for the bottom of the battery box to the mounting plate. Got one more or less tacked on and ran out of welding gas. Made a mess of some of the welds before I realized what had happened.

Put the box into the front compartment where it will live and it fits nicely. Added the battery for ease of getting in and out. Glad it doesn't go in and out very often....

A few pics of progress and I guess I am not welding until later in the week when I get to the welding gas store....

Cheers
    Don

With battery

How it will look with the windshield wiper mechanism cover on as well. Nicely fit into the compartment.

Other side view
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Nice work! How tight is it going to be connecting the cables? Looks like fairly tight quarters if the pic with the battery is how it's oriented.

Geez that paint is gorgeous! What's the green strip on the passenger side flange......tape maybe?

As always, beautiful work! Getting closer all the time. Any Beatles fans? "It's getting better all the time....better..better...bet-ter.."

Tedd;

About 1" or so to attach the cables to the front fo the battery. Enough room to do it but not a lot of room to play a bunch. The cover sits over the battery a bit so it looks a bit tighter in the pics than it is. Still. not a ton of room for sure. I am happier not cutting into the front wall of the compartment and once the battery is in, it usually doesn't get moved around a whole bunch in the day to day usage.

Yes that is green painter's tape I never took off when I was putting the mounting screws in place a couple years ago... and, again, how time flies..... I really like the colour as well. To each his/her own as I have had feedback about it being too bad it isn't Ferrari red or yellow.

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Well. I don't get that 3 hours back......

Pulled the cables through some holes I drilled into the floor of the front compartment last night. What I thought would be a 30-45 minute job end to end ended up 3 hours..... Multiple tries to pull the cables through as they came up to the bottom of the floor at a bit of an angle so ended up having to open the holes up more than anticipated so need ed to go back and forth way too many times to get a hole large enough but not too large....

Hooking up battery leads tonight to see fi everything works as I had envisioned.

Quick question for others that might have moved the battery forward. When moving the battery up front, Should I put a second ground cable against the front frame as well as having it run to the rear/motor?

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    When moving the battery up front, Should I put a second ground cable against the front frame as well as having it run to the rear/motor?
    Hey Don... there are different thoughts on this but my opinion is that you shouldn't. Some people only ground the battery to the frame up front and that's a definite recipe for problems. I know that's not what you're planning but the rationale is similar. If you only ground up front, then the current to turn over the engine (typically 400 Amps) must return to the battery through a convoluted path through the frame. Depending on the resistance through the chassis (which changes over time with corrosion), some of the current will take a short cut through multiple electronic and electrical components situated between the front and rear of the car and can burn them out.

It's not anywhere near as likely to happen if you're only adding a secondary ground at the front, but in the event that your main ground to the back is compromised either with corrosion or becomes loose, it's better to find out by having a "no-start" condition than having the current try to flow through your ECM/PCM.

(BTW... what did you get your hood latches from?)

Thanks Blooz;

I ended up over on Pennock's and saw a lot of the same conversation and agree, I not put a ground up front.

The latches were off a hatchback of some sort I found way too many years ago in a wrecker yard. They are older hatchback though so maybe an old Toyota or Nissan? Honestly don't remember. I remember getting them because they had the cam and rods going from a key out to the latches so I could make something up from the hood release going to both latches. I made the hood hooks or whatever they are called to fit my arrangement though. Sorry I could not be of more help on that.

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Don, what are you using to cut the 14 ga ? especially the inner oval shapes. looks like steel you're using ? my power shear will do up to 18ga. -Vinny
    Remember, there is always next year.

Vinny;

Yes 14 g steel sheet. An angle grinder for the longer edges, air reciprocating saw for shorter internal hole edges and various drill sizes for the iner corners. Pretty low tech but it works for what I need.

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV