Page 110 of 112 FirstFirst ... 1060100108109110111112 LastLast
Results 1,091 to 1,100 of 1115

Thread: Ferrari 288 GTO - BUILD - Project

Ran the wires from back to front in the conduit and bent everything up to fit properly and be safe. Now on to the engine bay for one last review and cleanup before putting the driveline back in one last time for final fitment of everything. I looked at the gas filler area/shelf and couldn't leave it alone. I looked at what was done and someone back in the 90's paid good money for the company that built the car originally to put stuff together with just poor design and forethought. I also wanted to build a box for the filler as right now it is wide open on the back edge so any fuel fumes go directly down into the hot engine bay during filling. Gas fumes are heavier than air so will fall down. An opportunity to ignite if enough fumes went into the hot bay. Therefore, cut out the old shelf and making up a new one now. Should have it completed by end of the night.

More crap to have to fix correctly..... never ends.

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

"More crap to have to fix correctly..... never ends."

Merry Christmas Don!

Got the fuel compartment finished and ready to paint before final install and sealing off. Now I can be more confident that the fuel fumes will not be just pouring down into the hot engine bay when fueling is ongoing. I also finished up the wiring track so it closes off the entrance into the cockpit now as well. I think I will design up a couple plugs that go through the firewall but with sharper angles for the wiring and I can print them off on my 3d printer. Just help manage the entrance into the computer area a bit better.

Also the engine bay is getting very close to being ready to insulate and paint. I was not able to get some sheet metal before the stores shut down for the holiday otherwise I would have the plate on the back window done as well. Ended up down with some balance problems the last couple days so no work in the garage unfortunately.

Happy New Year everyone

Don

Hole on the right is for the fuel door latch and now has a rubber seal for that coming through as well

Took a bit of finangling to get all the bumps put into the compartment and have it it flat so it can seal.

Fuel compartment sealed off from engine bay and still room for the engine bay equipment

Used a few plates to keep wiring in place while I was working on the track cap

Wiring track cap put on. Haven't fit it yet as I ended up with the balance issues so no garage playing for right now.
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Looking good Don! I couldn't help but notice the timing of your balance problems... I'm willing to bet that you're in good company all across the World today. LOL. (BTW... it was great meeting you a couple weeks ago.)

That's a lot of fab work, looking good that should protect it all really well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloozberry View Post
    Looking good Don! I couldn't help but notice the timing of your balance problems... I'm willing to bet that you're in good company all across the World today. LOL. (BTW... it was great meeting you a couple weeks ago.)
    Hey Dave Thanks. It was great meeting you as well. You are doing some amazing work to help bring those old 355 panels back to some useful life. Anyone wanting to spend some quality time seeing how a well documented project with incredible engineering going on is done go here. Grab a beer and start reading. Worth the time spent in my opinion.

https://bloozeown.weebly.com/

I wish the balance problems were actually festivities related..... This vertigo is a son of a gun to work through.

More progress when I can stand straight...

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Do you still have the Cheviot rims that came with this car?

Hi Don...Do you still have the original Cheviot rims that came with your Mera clone - and if so, are they for sale?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Thought I would resurrect this old thread as it seems I have had a bit of good luck. I am about to acquire a 308 kit out here in Vancouver that I can drive for now but can use as my base for the 288 GTO project.

The car is a runner and had a lot of work done to the engine etc. and looks like it was a good kit when first built back in the 90's. It is a Mera clone so not the full true lines of the Stinger but a closer starting point than my 328 panels I have had for several years. It is the one I posted over in the Mall a month or so ago. The fellow had no action on the car so I offered him what I would pay for it myself being that I have seen it etc. and he took the offer. I have to go over to Vancouver in the next couple weeks to pick it up and bring it back but it will be a decent project to play with for a while.

a couple pics of the car.

Cheers
    Don
    THE BEST QUOTE EVER ON THE REAL VS. REPLICA DEBATE, IMO - "...telling guys on here that fake means worthless, is like arguing with guys about fake boobs. If you can see them, touch them, enjoy them and be proud of them; for most....they're real enough." - RUSHAVED

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grxthHiMkec&t=9s
    --- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orPNGTi58rY

Paul;

I still have the rims and will be using them on this. I just don't have them on right now as I work on the driveline and finish up small items on the front end as well. They are very hard to come by these days.

Good luck
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Paul;

I still have the rims and will be using them on this. I just don't have them on right now as I work on the driveline and finish up small items on the front end as well. They are very hard to come by these days.

Good luck
    Don
    I understand...They really do suit the 308/328 cars well aesthetically and are good quality rims.
    Unfortunately they're no longer available...I know this because I was told I got the last set nearly 25 years ago.
    Now our biggest challenge will be finding adequately sized 15 inch diameter performance tires for them.

Cheers.
    Last edited by Paul S; 01-10-2019 at 08:45 PM.
    THE BEST QUOTE EVER ON THE REAL VS. REPLICA DEBATE, IMO - "...telling guys on here that fake means worthless, is like arguing with guys about fake boobs. If you can see them, touch them, enjoy them and be proud of them; for most....they're real enough." - RUSHAVED

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grxthHiMkec&t=9s
    --- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orPNGTi58rY

Well, since I have been unable to handle power tools the past couple weeks, and stuck in the house most of the time with this vertigo, I have been sitting in front of the computer coming up with all kinds of stuff to do when I am better.

One item I wanted to get to this past week was the through firewall plug for my new wiring setup. The oem Fiero plug is quite large and sticks out into the engine bay too far to be able to fit under my new wiring track top. So, I got into Fusion 360 (free 3d CAD from AutoCAD including motion simulation and sheet metal etc.) and finished up my prototype of a plug with a waterfall so the wires transition the corner from the firewall into the cockpit a more cleanly. I am currently 3d printing my first finished full prototype out (two pieces) so one I can show and can take a pic of the in progress of the second piece. It is much more complicated than the first as there has to be a boat load of supporting structures built up to support the top area. there was no easy way to print it so I just printed it right side up but it requires a huge amount of additional plastic for the support structure. Don't think I will do it that way again.... lessons learned as I get into the 3d printing stuff

So, requirements for a new firewall plug:
    1. Must be no more than about 5/8" high on engine bay side so it fits under the wiring tray top
    2. Must be wide enough to allow all wires to turn the corner into the cockpit
    3. Must have a smooth transition around the corner (waterfall type of corner)
    4. Must be able to be assembled when one half is in the firewall already
    5. Not crazy complicated

I don't think I succeeded in the "Not crazy complicated" part but everything else I think I nailed.

A few pics. One piece done and another in progress. Another quality 2 hours to go on part 2.

Full part when both pieces are mated. Will be held in place by screws in top and bottom tabs and the firewall opening will exert pressure to keep them mated

Part 1 which goes into the firewall hole first and get the wires all lined up and then insert part 2. At least that is the plan. I might have just realized an error as I am typing but will see how it turns out. Why you make prototypes first....

Part 2 inside view. Top part of the cascade waterfall ramp for the wires.

Part 2 view 2. Back side of the part. I just realized that I may have put the large retainer tab on the wrong part. It is this way on the originals but the piece is already assembled before inserting into the firewall as you have more length of wire to work with. My arrangement is tighter so might not work. I am not sure I will be able to fit the second part down through the hole and still keep the wires tight in the waterfall. Will need to test that out....

Finished Part 1 of the prototype. 3d printing at the hobby level like my printer does not give you show room finish. A bit of cleanup is required.

A few more pictures of Part 1

Comparison to oem part I took measurements from

More in next post as I think I am going to run out to pictures allowed if I haven't already.
    Last edited by Don; 01-14-2019 at 11:46 PM.
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV