Page 120 of 121 FirstFirst ... 2070110118119120121 LastLast
Results 1,191 to 1,200 of 1208

Thread: Ferrari 288 GTO - BUILD - Project

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    And this si what the ECM opening should look like. Graeme, 85-308, has graciously offered up his ECM for the build so I am just waiting to hear back from Sinister Performance and what he requires to be sent to him for the flash.....

Ha ha ha - Congrats Don. If you pulled all your hair out in the process, don't worry, It will grow back soon! Hope to hear it run soon.

Sean;

Sadly the problem is at my age as the hair comes out it doesn't necessarily come back anymore.....

So, ECM on its way here thanks to the generosity of Graeme (85-308). The updated chip ordered from Ryan at Sinister Performance. I have to wire in the 3 wire high pressure A/C sensor so will do that and then I can move back into the interior and do the final updates on that area while waiting for the stuff for the engine to arrive.

Forward progress finally.

Wonder what I am going to find next........

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

It happens to all of us Don. I had a unfortunate event some months ago with Funnywheels. I got on it a bit to hard and one of the CVs pulled out of it's socket. Come to find out later that the Fiero trans mounts bent and caused the motor to shift enough to change the distance from the wheel hub to the trans. I wasn't smart enough to realize that that was why the CV failed. So, after replacing the CV parts (which wasn't easy because Dave had them custom made and I didn't know what car they came from) It failed again just pulling out of the driveway. After closer inspection I realized the mounts were bent so I ordered all new heavy duty ones from Rodney Dickman. 2 weeks later I got it all back together again and all was good. The following weekend I went up in my attic looking for something and low and behold, I came across another set of Rodney's Trans mounts sitting in a box I never used. Oh well, now I have replacements that I will probably forget that I have...…………. again

While I wait for parts to arrive again, I am focusing on a couple other areas that I wanted to look at. I wanted to redo the centre console carbon fibre as it just didn't turn out that well when I did it a couple years ago,. Wayne, dobie1, has a vacuum bag setup and has been pulling parts for a while now so good at it. I built up a bracing system so when we vacuum bag it, it will have a lot less ability to warp on us. I also want to have the 3.4 head cover to be carbon fibre and then I will put a Ferrari script on it. I ground the 3.4 DOHC off it (which was pointing in the wrong way anyway, and then filled in the spots to give a good surface. We are going to vacuum bag this one as well but will need to do a lot less vacuum as this one is not as well braced by the nature of its construction. Tape is on it in these pics until the caulking is dried. I used caulking to secure it to the frame and will be a lot easier to pull off afterward.
    Cheers
    Don

308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

First part in carbon. An amazing improvement on to what I had done previously.....

We are talking about maybe putting the Ferrari emblem script against the cover and then vacuum over the script as well to give it all a carbon shape. Not sure the cover will survive the vacuum without warping or getting misshaped if we have to go that hard on vacuum to pull out the edges of the script.... Might try a test run ... I am going to 3d print the Ferrari script so we have a disposable mold for the script.

308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Looking good Don, do the original parts remain and go back on the engine ? Like wrapping a part .
    or just the new carbon fiber top layer is now the part? I’ve seen videos of vacuum bagging in which the resin is pulled into the bag to thoroughly encapsulate the part , then the part is removed off the mold shape . Was this the way it was done ? Any pics of the process ? It really looks trick . Thanks, Vin

Yes. This is only a cf covering layer to the thicker part underneath on my application. We have also done the "make a mold and then vacuum a cf part from it" as well so that you start with a fresh standalone part but these parts are only coverings. The engine cover has mounts under the top lid that connect to the fuel rail that I did not feel like having to remake etc.....

I also received my parts from Graeme so I now have an oem chip to go into the ECM and spare ECM and the flashed part from Sinister Performance is in transit to me.

Progress
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Wow, I saw this car being built on Pennock's. I would love to have this car with an IMSA Fiero body attached to it. What a work of art. I say you should kick the rear wheels back 2-2/4 inches and mount your 355 on it with a roof. That would make a statement.

If you want to resell it, I am interested!

Still waiting for the update chip so continuing to address additional items.

I thought I would pull the 3d printer out and tryout some ideas for the Ferrari logo on the engine cover. I asked Wayne to vacuum bag my engine cover and he did that at the same time he did the centre console for me. Turned out well and just need to do a bit more cleanup and probably another coat of resin to get rid of the last imperfections in the surface. While doing that, thought I would see if a 3d printed logo would work.

Not sure the depth of the lettering is correct yet as it is 5mm and pretty tall.... I plan to finish cleaning up the lettering and paint it the same colour as the engine and car and should stand out on the carbon fibre once it is also cleared again.

Thoughts and feedback on the height, depth and size of the lettering?

308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

I am also doing a PC Board that will work with an Arduino that runs the HVAC in the Fiero project for Wayne and connect directly into the stock HVAC wiring plug. Similar to what Riceburner did back in the day but I am using a full Arduino rather than his work to use only the atmel 328 chip (same chip that runs the Arduino).

It is getting very crowded on this board so may need to revisit wire tracks and placement to make it better overall but to get it up and running and tested this way first as I was learning the software and process at the same time....

Cheers
    Don

308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV