Page 40 of 116 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090 ... LastLast

Thread: Ferrari 288 GTO - BUILD - Project

Yeah Glenn;

It really is the little details that take up the major time in these builds. We can stretch a frame and put a new engine in within a week but it takes 2-3 weeks to set up wipers correctly or to install headlights.....

The sitting on our *sses in front of the idiot box doesn't help with time lines either......

I went about 40 minutes away this morning and traded the 95 3.4 DOHC engine I have been storing for years with a fellow that had an '88 front suspension hub to hub. I now have a rear and front suspension setup from an '88 Fiero to use on the Countach build.

I am thinking that I will have front and rear custom built suspension coming up for sale fairly soon once I get to the Countach....

Off I go into the garage for tonight.

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Update;

I have been whittling away at the smaller items to get the car ready to work on final sanding and paint. I did decide on my paint colour though. I have been buying the prepared spray bombs of paint from my local paint dealer to see what colour I wanted on the car. I want a red metallic colour but don't like the Ferrari metallic colours I can actually get painted. I really like the candy red metallic from Ferrari on the 599 and Californias but the paint is not readily available to the public up here from what I can find and it would require some difficult paint work which I am not sure about.

I have tried out 5 different red metallics in the past couple months but nothing really caught my eye until last week. I think I have finally landed on a colour. 2009-11 Ford Candy Red Metallic. The pics below are just a spray bomb of the water based base coat with a spray bomb of 1 coat of clear on the forward section of the fender to get an idea. I painted the base across the front clip until it ran out just to get a larger surface to look at. I have to sand all this off again anyway to start the high build primer process I will be doing so I wasn't too worried about the bit of extra sanding work. I really like the colour and I think it will really pop out in the sun.

I have the front end metal work all done now and have moved to the rear engine area. I need to redo the rear trunk so that it fits the targa top as the targa builder just cut the back trunk wall and folded it over. I want a cleaner set up that seals the sides off from weather and sets up a nice latching area for the engine lid. I am also in the process of reinforcing the engine lid hinges and putting in gas shocks. The lid is currently pretty wobbly.

I put some gas struts on last night but they are not strong enough so I need to get some more powerful ones as well as possibly rethink my pivot and pushing setup. I built one up similar to what Rodney Dickman does with his reinforcing kit but I only used 45 lb gas struts so they were not enough to lift and hold the lid. I plan to get 85 lb struts today and try them out tonight. If they are still not enough, I will need to redo my strut mount points to give better leverage.

Enjoy the colour pics as I keep walking into teh garage to have a look at it .....

Thanks
    Don
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Fairly decent weekend of work on the 308. I had to help my back neighbour take down a tree in his back yard on Saturday so that we now have a much better view of the water and downtown Victoria across the water. One of the main reasons we bought where we did was the views and proximity to the ocean.

Made engine lid braces last week and installed them this weekend and got myself a set of 56 lb gas shocks to lift the lid. The shocks will hold the lid when open but don't really help while pushing up. I will leave these in there for now but will continue to look for stronger struts like maybe 75 lb or more struts to help take some of the weight of the lid while opening.

I also went after rear trunk. The company that made the car into a targa, cut the rear trunk back wall at each side and folded the back wall down and left it at that. There was no weather sealing on any of that area and the trunk was pretty much open to the rear fascia area and any moisture kicked up during a rain would go right into the trunk area. It was not sealed at all. I tried using the original rear wall to see if I could attach some new metal to allows me to make a rim to have the seal sit on. It wasn't going to work so I took the sawzall to it.. All gone and now I can make a new rear wall and attach it to the sides and cap off the top portions under the sail panels and make a full seal for the rear trunk. I will be buying a new seal from Infinitewil once I have the measurements. I have a pic of the targa sitting in the rear trunk and you can see how much more room it needs versus the original trunk area. Some cutting and pasting of the rear engine lid will also be required to move the back section of the seal face rearward to meet up with the new rear seal location. I will also be making a new rear latch mounting surface so that I can use the Fiero latch mechanisms.

After all that, and a couple beers, I went after the front trunk latches. I made some pretty good progress in that I was able to cut away the old seal face I have made before moving the wiper transmission and installing the extended screen. Once that was cut away, I went about making a new metal brace to go across between the two side metal braces. I had to cut slots into the square tube to get the right shape and then weld the cuts back up. Turned out pretty well. It will be covered with foam and fiberglass in the end so I wasn't really worried about how clean the welds were, just as long as they are strong....

Once I had that in place, I made up some latch bar perches (really not sure what they are called) and welded the perches to the new cross bar. I then tried out my relatively new blind screw tool and inserted some blind screw pieces in. That also worked pretty well once I wasted a few figuring out how it works.... The end result is I need a few more blind screw pieces as I wasted some and I need some more expanding foam as I also ran out of that.

For the latches themselves, I took some 2" angle iron and made mounts. These mounts will then be placed in the proper location inside the trunk and additional metal will be measured and welded on to locate the latches in the right spots to line up with the bars I made in the hood. I took a pic of more or less where the latches will sit inside the front trunk.

Next on the list is to mount the latches in the right spot, set up the central latch release mechanism and attach that to the Fiero release pull and then cover the bar and perches with foam and then glass to make the inner panel for the front lid. I hope that all gets done this coming week.

Cheers
    Don
    Last edited by Don; 03-05-2012 at 02:11 AM.
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

A couple more pics

Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Latch mounts are made and in place. I had to run around for a couple days looking for some more nutcerts to secure the latch bars to the lid.. I finally found some metal ones today and bought a pile of them so I don't run out again too quickly. I like the metal ones more as the aluminum ones will pull the threads out too easily.

I positioned everything into the hood opening and lined up the latches to the bars and then made some plates to mount the latches to. It all worked out quiet well. I now need to weld in some gussets to the mount plates to stiffen them up a bit and then foam and fiberglass on the lid to finish it off. The bolts on the mount pates are only for initial positioning and I will weld everything up tomorrow night now that it is all lined up and working.

I also plan to use the Fiero hood holding bar and will mount that tomorrow night as well.

Cheers
    Don
    Last edited by Don; 03-08-2012 at 02:46 AM.
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Update;

Finished off the front latches with reinforcing and final mounted them and now I need to finish the pull mechanism this weekend.

For a change, I moved to the rear trunk area to get the latch built and get the rear section boxed in so it is weather proof. I have the main rear wall bent from 14 gauge sheet metal and I will be boxing in the end caps with 18 gauge as it is easier to work with for the complex corners. I have one end done and screwed into place for fitting and I will be on to the other side this weekend. I also need to make caps to go over each end to cover the portion under the sail panels similar to what is needed for the Fiero GT. Once everything is fitted, I will pull it all apart and put seam seal along all edges and rivet everything together and then seam seal over the final joints and install into the car. I may need to install in the car first before riveting but I will figure that when I get to that point.

I also got into the engine lid to make a new seal ridge since the seal will now be so much further back from oem. The rear seal lip is 6" back from oem trunk back wall. The section in the middle is where I need to create a sunken area in the inner hood to accommodate the Fiero rear trunk latch. With the seal lip closer to the top of the trunk area, the latch needs to sit higher in the engine lid so I need to make a cupped section to clear the mechanism and also insert some metal with bolts welded on for securing the latch to the engine lid. Once that is done, I then align the latch bar to the latch mechanism and mount it to the rear trunk wall. I will also be putting reinforcing in behind the trunk wall to help keep that solid.

A few pics

Cheers
    Don
    Last edited by Don; 03-17-2012 at 04:00 AM.
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Been away for a while in Phoenix between contracts. We are back now and I am getting back into the 308 build to hopefully get it finished off and off to paint some time soon........

I started another thread for my 5000s build as I now have some parts to get me moving slowly along with that but I will be working hard to complete the 308 and get it off to paint.

When I left, I was doing up the inner engine lid as I had changed the configuration of the rear trunk to fit the targa top. I will be finishing the fiberglassing on the inner lid to create the new seal lip and then move back to the front trunk area to finish the fiberglassing in of the latch plates and metal reinforcement. On to the interior and sanding... Been saying that for a while now but I hope to actually start it soon.....

More to come this week.
    Don

A quick pic of the man's garage again. I pulled the Boxster into the garage while we were gone to keep it safe and dry....
    Last edited by Don; 05-01-2012 at 02:02 AM.
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

I also changed the title as it really isn't a 288 GTO thread any more. I am not sure it will ever get converted to one either.....

Cheers
    Don

Edit: Or thought I did. Change did not show up so I guess it stays as 288 GTO.......
    Last edited by Don; 05-01-2012 at 02:04 AM.
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Hey Stranger!

Man have I been bogged down for the last several months. I do get to the forum every now and again and follow your "little project here" though .

Just a note:

If you come out to your garage and find the front clip "missing" on your 308, It wasn't me who stole it :-)

I'd give anything for that front end. You know I can deal with everything on my replica except the "stock slanty looking front end". I'm SOoooooooooo Jealous ....

Brian
    Last edited by kit4me; 05-02-2012 at 09:09 PM.
    Previous Builds: AF - 308 Replica w/ V8 & GM F-body Testarossa Replica
    Current Toys: 308 V8 Project #2, 91 V-12 Jaguar XJ-S Coupe. 1983 Hurst\Olds, 1979 Trans/AM - 468CID Bracket Car.

Hey Brian;

Good to hear from you. How is your build going these days?

I agreed to do the front end for a local guy so I will be taking moulds of the front pieces. I can probably set something up for u as well.....

I am sick tonight so no work on the car tonight. I finally get back in town and stuff gets in the way of getting out there....

More soon, I hope.
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV