Thread: Inner Fender wells

Inner Fender wells

Im having a small problem with my inner front fender wells. The material I used is much to stiff and becomes loose and rattles. Any suggestions. This is on a lambo 25th ann.

Re: Inner Fender wells

Quote Originally Posted by psn497
    Im having a small problem with my inner front fender wells. The material I used is much to stiff and becomes loose and rattles. Any suggestions. This is on a lambo 25th ann.
    I hear a lot of people give ideas on this topic but here is what I actually have installed on FunnyWheels, I used fiberglass. I laid it up on an old Fiero rear window, and then just after the catalyst hardener kicked off, I laid the part over my tire while it was on the car to make the shape as close as I could to the tire size. Once it hardened, I made a poster board template and transferred the area to the fiberglass then trimmed the part and expanded it to fit the fender well. It was incredibly easy to do. I mixed black paint in the resin to color the fiberglass black. No rattles, shakes etc. I used simple little "L" shapped brackets on the bottoms and OEM attachment points otherwise.

Hope that helps.

Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

More, top photo is the initial rough fitting process.
    Attached Images Attached Images       

You might consider,finding them off a large truck at the wrecking yard,then trim them to fit.I like how Daves came out.
    The road to life is full of flat squirrels, who couldn't make up their mind!

I am planning on using Tireplast from Tap Plastics. I like the idea of fiberglass, but do not want to hear all the little rocks on the road hitting the hard fiberglass like on my Sterling. If the Tireplast works for the AD355, I will installing it in my Sterling also.

We use 1/8" abs plastic for ours. The ones we sell are vacuformed, but you can make a set from a small sheet(2'x3') clamp the edges to wherever it's going to be screwed down and heat the middle with a heat lamp or gun.

Once it gets rubbery, stretch and mold it with your hand (wear a glove) and when it takes the shape you're after, hit it with a blow gun and it'll set up and cool to that shape. The cool part is it's semi flexible so you can screw it in or whatwever without cracking it, and it grinds pretty easy for fitting.

You can get sheet abs at a lot of plastics places.

Hope it helps
    Mike
    www.Chassisworksinc.com<br />www.Chassissupply.com

Sure.
    Hey you know, if you want to get it somewhat to the contour of the wheel arch before you wrestle it, how's about heating a sheet of abs and letting it flop over a clean trashcan laid on it's side.This way it will kind of have a radius, and I bet it would be pretty close to the size of the wheelwell opening..Then all you may have to so is trim it and shove it up in there.

Somedays the brain works pretty good, and other days, not at all, today is a good day!

Just a thought.
    www.Chassisworksinc.com<br />www.Chassissupply.com

On two of my wheel wells I took poster board cut to shape, taped it in then glassed it in with fiberglass CLOTH. The rigidness can be determined on how many layers you do. On the other two I made templates out of poster board and cut out sheet metal. I actually liked the sheet metal better. I tried using the round plastic trash cans but couldn't ever get it to work right.

Are you a donating member of the forum? That could be why you can't attach photos.

For directions go to General Kit Car Chat, third line down and follow the directions. Most of us contributed $25 but you can do more if you want to.

Regards,

Dave