Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: cnc carving foam

Re: cnc carving foam

and other make it by hand
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=lS4fqwZDlF4

Quote Originally Posted by dna-engineering
    What does this have to do with cnc foam carving? I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and hope that you made this post by accident. Right?

Mike

simply pointing out that it can be done without cnc cutting equipment it does take a little longer but good results can come from many forms of tools including ones hands

Quote Originally Posted by dna-engineering
    simply pointing out that it can be done without cnc cutting equipment it does take a little longer but good results can come from many forms of tools including ones hands
    My point was that the video showed a push button starter? That is the reason for the question? Why show that?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by turmite
    J are you drive motors stepper or servo? I can tell you immediately if you are feeding 5000mm in mdf and cutting very deep.....that is your problem on breaking bits. I currently carve foam at about 2600mm but it has nothing to do with the power of my machine, but more to do with the smoothness of the finished surface. I watched the video and can tell you that puppy was singing.......which is great for speed, but if you want to get a real quality surface, slow it down some. The time invested in this process is to reduce the time involved in the hand work later, because no matter how hard you try, there is still going to be hand work. The least you can do of that, the better. You have to remember that guys like us that don't have the high dollar machines, have to rely on something else. The ability to mulit-task while the machine is running. I do it all the time and the machine just becomes an employee.......one that doesn't gripe, complain, or get tired!

Mike
    Im using that setup for foam only, because I dont want to wait for 5 hours to get one 1:8 front bumper.
    Im making some test with mdf, and I think my problem is the bit, I just bought a new one in houston, I will make some tests in the next few days. and will post the results.

thanks mike

Merry Christmas to everyone.

Hey guys;

Merry Christmas first but I have a question.

I just bought a book or do it yourself plans and desciption that shows me how to convert my manual mini mill into a cnc machine so over the rest of the winter, I will be playing with getting everything built and put together but....
    Short story long and a simple question, what software should I use for the cnc control? The book talks about a few of them from the author's experience and personal use/knowledge but I am looking to do small parts for various portions of my builds and not panels etc. so what software would be the best to use?

I planned on using either CoCreate personal edition or progecam to do the modelling I want to do but I don't know which cnc software would be best suited to the small mini mill.

Any help would be great.

Thanks much
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

I am not a CNC expert, more like barely knowledgable. I can spell CNC that kind of thing. Mike is very good and is always willing to share info. He does not visit here as often as he used to so if you will PM me with your e-mail I will put the two of you together. My understanding is that it must be modeled in a software that is easily converted to "G" code that the CNC software uses to control your mill. Most people use Rhino. When I was getting estimates to cut my car. All three companies I talked to wanted Rhino NURBS files. If Turmite (Mike) does not post, send me your info.

Bart

Hey Bart thanks for the kudos.....though considering how slow I am......

Don send me a pm with your email address. I actually sell the software that I use for my cnc work, and foam is only a portion of what I do. I know that sometime after the first of the year we are going to run a "bad economy special".

I have no idea what cocreate personal, but Rhino is about the best there is for car work.

As for the controller......how accurate and repeatable do you want to be? There are pc options that I would suggest for $150 US, but it doesn't have encoder feedback, nor does it have position correction. For $499 US you can get a controller that will do both, but that is not all the cost. You will also have to have motor encoders as well as linear scales hard mounted to your machine for the second loop of feedback which will allow you the position correction. In my case, I have the controller, but my machine is huge and haven't been able to afford the long scales yet.

Pm me and we will take it to email.

Mike

Excellent;

Thanks Bart and Mike.

Mike;

I have sent you a PM with my email address.

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Cnc air duct cut from offcut ply

I did this air duct for my project out of off cut ply that I had laying around.I just need to put body putty on and re cut the final pass and then sand by hand.Hopefully I will get a good form form it .pic 1 is the rough cut and pic 2 and 3 is final cut.Once I have the filler on I would do the final cut again with little step over to give me a smooth finish.
    Attached Images Attached Images