Thread: Looking for a good book on fiberglass work.

Looking for a good book on fiberglass work.

Anyone out there know of a good book dealing with fiberglass mold making? Particularly bonding fiberglass mat to fiberglass composites as used on the modern day Corvettes. In the past I have used a product called Fusor or something to that effect to make a repair. I was wondering if there was a way to add glass mat with standard resin without it coming apart in time. Would a product like bondo glass or mar-glass stick to both of them?

Any feed back would be appreciated.

Re: Looking for a good book on fiberglass work.

First, if you are talking about bonding specifically related to getting matt to stick to Corvette glass you've got to understand that it's not regular glass. For quite sometime what appears to be fiberglass on Vettes is actually a type of SMC or Sheet Molded Compound. When SMC is made the mold release agent is cast completely through the material. That's why regular glass compounds will not stick to it long term. Here is the resin you need that will work for SMC and even bond SMC to conventional glass as well... http://www.evercoat.com/productDetail.aspx?pID=16
    As for good reading materials check out the fact sheets and flyers at...
    http://www.fibreglast.com/
    And for about the best $4 I've ever spent on current fiberglass techniques get this book on DVD...
    http://www.fiberglasssite.com/servlet/Detail?no=33
    Between those two web sites you can build and repair just about anything made of laminate technology.

Thanks very much - I just ordered the DVD. It sounds as though you know what your talking about... That's good - because I don't. (at least not yet) I was reading some of the on-line brochures on the Fibre-Glast web site. Good stuff. I see they offer instructional DVD's as well. Have you seen any of them and are they worth the $

Thanks again for your help.

Sean

Can't really comment on the DVDs at that site, I've not seen them. You'll be real happy with that $4 you spent though.