Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sources for importing kits into the US from the UK

Sources for importing kits into the US from the UK

Hey all, Don't know if anyone can help me out here.

I know numerous people have considered importing a UK kit into the USA

At present, its only the importation issue that is holding me back. (Finally got some cash together!!!)

I've tried some local import companies but am struggling to get anyone to perform this service for me.

What I know so far is that if you bring something into the US and its value is over $2000 it is called a formal import (as opposed to an informal) and therefore can not easily be handled by the likes of UPS.

Bringing a kit into the country is allowed if it is for your own personal use and not for resale (therefore you don't have to get safety approvals etc)

I understand that the taxable rate on items is different depending on what it is your importing. I have no idea what is the 'best' ($) ;D classification for say a DNA kit though. Car parts? Body kit? Kit car base?

Does anyone have any experience in this they would be willing to share on this thread for anyone else looking to import? I'll be more than willing to share my experience as I go through it!

Munkyking ???

Re: Sources for importing kits into the US from the UK

Say i have friends in england that will help send the pieces to me one by one gradually...to keep the value of each shipment below 2000$....can someone see a hole in that plan?

piece by piece would suck, it would cost as much in the end as shipping the entire thing, and more of a risk of losing parts rather than a whole container.

I think the best way is to find a group of people in the USA that would be willing to have DNA or whomever fill a container of them and ship them over all together as body kits. The container cost the same whether its full or empty. As far as customs goes, how do people import clips over here and sell them for 3 and 4 thousand, I dont believe that informal and formal fee, maybe I'm wrong though.

I ordered something from Europe and paid full price but my vender put on the invoice $1700.00 so it would not be soo painful to import. I am not saying your vender should do that but it may not hurt to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by MunkyKing

At present, its only the importation issue that is holding me back. (Finally got some cash together!!!)

I've tried some local import companies but am struggling to get anyone to perform this service for me.

What I know so far is that if you bring something into the US and its value is over $2000 it is called a formal import (as opposed to an informal) and therefore can not easily be handled by the likes of UPS.

Bringing a kit into the country is allowed if it is for your own personal use and not for resale (therefore you don't have to get safety approvals etc)

I understand that the taxable rate on items is different depending on what it is your importing. I have no idea what is the 'best' ($) ;D classification for say a DNA kit though. Car parts? Body kit? Kit car base?

Does anyone have any experience in this they would be willing to share on this thread for anyone else looking to import? I'll be more than willing to share my experience as I go through it!

Munkyking ???
    It is my opinion that the kit car shipper should do the research on this. After all, they are the the ones making the sale. If you purchased something from a supplyer or manufacturer in the US. They would usually figure the shipping and handling fees and tack that on to your invoice. Why should the buyer have to go through hoops to figure out how to get it here. Leave it up to them - in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver
    Quote Originally Posted by MunkyKing

Munkyking ???
    It is my opinion that the kit car shipper should do the research on this. After all, they are the the ones making the sale. If you purchased something from a supplyer or manufacturer in the US. They would usually figure the shipping and handling fees and tack that on to your invoice. Why should the buyer have to go through hoops to figure out how to get it here. Leave it up to them - in my opinion.
    +1

You should not need to go down this route on the forum, the kit supplier should easily be able to give you a cost.
    In my business I had to get quotes to ship items to the states, it's no big deal, you just pick up the phone but you must specify a zip code.
    For example one of my quotes was for a 2mtr long x 2mtr wide x 1mtr crate going to various States. The cost varied from $1200 to $1800 depending on the state.
    You could get a kit into a crate that size if you made 2 or 3 cuts.
    So if i was you just contact the relevant UK company and let them sort a price out.
    After all ,for godsake your the customer !!
    Technical and hands on engineer

thanks for the information...

Quote Originally Posted by hmmm
    You should not need to go down this route on the forum, the kit supplier should easily be able to give you a cost.
    In my business I had to get quotes to ship items to the states, it's no big deal, you just pick up the phone but you must specify a zip code.
    For example one of my quotes was for a 2mtr long x 2mtr wide x 1mtr crate going to various States. The cost varied from $1200 to $1800 depending on the state.
    You could get a kit into a crate that size if you made 2 or 3 cuts.
    So if i was you just contact the relevant UK company and let them sort a price out.
    After all ,for godsake your the customer !!
    I found my quotes which I received on the 17th January so I thought this might be useful to our friends in the states.

Kansas............802.18
    Seattle............714.35
    California........669.01
    Texas..............604.00
    Ohio...............649.64
    S. Carolina......652.81
    USD charge ( customs clearance ) $95.00 per shipment
    These were quotes from DSV air & Sea Ltd.

Note I was shipping plastic components so it should follow for fibreglass components as that is classed as plastic ( or could be, wink wink )
    Hope that gives you and manufacturers a guideline.

I personally think that's reasonable?????
    Technical and hands on engineer

so it would only be like 652.81 pounds from UK to South Carolina? That is super reasonable.