Thread: working with fiberglass

working with fiberglass

how do you layup fiberglass without getting the gatoring affect?

Re: working with fiberglass

If gatoring you mean bumps(uneven) surface on the finished glass, there are a couple ways.

If you need a flat panel, take a mirror or a sheet of glass and lay up the fiberglass on that. When taken off the glass, the fiberglass will be very smooth on that side.

If you are layering mat over panels to cover holes or build up parts, there really isn't a way to easily get rid of the bumps in the glass completely. When laying up the glass, the best you can do is get a fiberglass wheel that you roll over the paid up areas and it pulls resin to the surface. This reduces the bumps but never gets rid of them all together.

The way to get perfectly smooth glass panels is to build up your buck of the part you are making, lay on tooling gelcoat and then layers of glass to make a mold. Take the mold off the part and lay up your final part in the mold. Depending on how much work you put into the buck and mold will determine how smooth and clwean your final part comes out.

If you are referring to bumps in the gel coat that was laid out before laying up the fiberglass layers, I found that you need toi really allow the gel coat to cure well and then sand it well if you have used waxed gelcoat before laying up the fiberglass on it. Separating between the glass layers usually means either incomplete mixing of the resin before using on the mat/cloth or impurities(dirt, grease, water) in the mat/cloth when layingit up.

A long answer to what I hope was your question.

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

If you need a flat panel, take a mirror or a sheet of glass and lay up the fiberglass on that. When taken off the glass, the fiberglass will be very smooth on that side.
    I've tossed this idea around for a while, but was concerned that it would cause the glass to get too hot and crack. Any troubles with that?

Quote Originally Posted by RHK
    I've tossed this idea around for a while, but was concerned that it would cause the glass to get too hot and crack. Any troubles with that?
    There are several options I have personally used. The easiest was the rear Fiero glass to build small parts, wheel wels etc. The other was to use a glass sliding patio door. You just use mold release like you would on anything else. If you are mixing your resin to produce as much heat as needed to explode glass, you might be cooking your mix and need to use less hardner. It should take 20 min to an hour to properly cure (tack up).

Dave

Attached Images Attached Images    
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

I use a long mirror left over from anold renovation. It is about 1 foot wide and around 5 fet long.

No problems with heating and cracking at all in what I have done.

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

after gel coating and curing for 24hrs I then layup the fiberglass and the gelcoat wrinkles like an aligator

Jack

What kind of temperature and humidity conditions are you performing your work in?

I think something might not be curing properly.

low humidity about 70 degrees.

Well that's about the perfect conditions, so that shouldn't be it.

How about mixture? If everything isn't mixed completely, you'll have over-catalyzed and under-catalyzed spots, resulting in uneven curing.

Obviously I'm just offering conjecture since I'm not there to see it. Can you post a picture of what you're getting?