Thread: Powdercoating fiberglass

Powdercoating fiberglass

Can fiberglass be powder coated? I was thinking a glossy black powdercoat would work better then paint on the Murcielago trim panels (Mirrors, and all the little various black pieces on the car that are plastic or look like plastic)

Re: Powdercoating fiberglass

try different pearls and metallic in the paint to archive the look.

I used pearl orange(from ebay $10) in the black paint and it looks cool. plus the pearl will be the same pearl that is in the car paint (orange crush pearl).

Yes...

http://www.finishingtalk.com/communi...pic.php?id=140

"Kevin Stay of Brennan Industries patented a unique and economical method that allows fiberglass or other nonmetallic parts to be powder coated. Basically, any non-conductive material that can withstand the heat needed to cure the powder coating (usually 300 � 400oF) can most likely receive this method of coating.

His patented process begins with using a solution composed of halogen, halogen complex or hypohalite or an iodine complex to coat the part. These compositions promote conductivity for the electrostatic application of the powder coating. In preparing a fiberglass part, the surface is treated in the iodine composition in manners such as dipping or spraying. Once treated, the part now has a thin conductive layer on the surface. Powder coating equipment is used to apply charged particles of powder to the surface of the treated fiberglass part and the powder is cured on the fiberglass. The combination of the fiberglass and powder coating provides an extremely durable product.

A particular advantage to this coating method is the lack of sensitivity to moisture. Whether the part remains wet, completely dried or even handled during the process, the conductivity is not affected and the manufacturer is able to successfully apply the powder coating to the fiberglass. Using this method to powder coat fiberglass archery equipment has produced a product much stronger than liquid coated bows. Flaking of the coating or splintering of the fiberglass is practically eliminated thanks to the powder�s commendable flexibility.

Some practical uses of fiberglass and powder coating include equipment for hunting, fishing, camping and related accessories such as fishing rods, fishing lures and cookware. The application of fiberglass continues to open the door to a world of possibilities. The use of powder coatings on these types of products (and others) provides an environmentally friendly, efficient and economical savings along with outstanding, durable performance
    ."

Simple! Why didn't I think of that?
    Without talent experience is worthless

Tdoyle

I am trying to make the panels as close to OEM as possible. Pearl may look cool but I want them to look original! What are these pieces actually made of? They look like plastic. A glossy black powdercoat will probably be 100% dead on since there is polymer that melts within the powdercoat.

I wonder if this process described above is widely available? Maybe he sells it in a can or something to be applied by any powder-coater.

I do some powdercoating in my shop but I am by far no expert. All of the powder paint I have ever used baked at 400 degF for about 20 minutes and that is 20 minutes part temperature so it takes a few minutes for the part to get up to temperature. Polyester FRP cannot stand that kind of temperature for that long without deforming. I use a hybrid resin far superior to general purpose polyester (what 95% of kit car parts are made from) and even it will distort a little. Epoxy cured at a high temp in a vacuum or autoclave would work but then it would be cheaper to buy oe parts. I think there are some paints out there that could fit your need. Single stage can be made to look like plastic better than base/clear in my opinion. There are also specialty products like SEM and I think UPOL makes some that dealers use to recondition black trim parts to look like new. I have used SEM trim black in the aerosol can and it works well. It is a used car lot favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by bartman
    I do some powdercoating in my shop but I am by far no expert. All of the powder paint I have ever used baked at 400 degF for about 20 minutes and that is 20 minutes part temperature so it takes a few minutes for the part to get up to temperature. Polyester FRP cannot stand that kind of temperature for that long without deforming. I use a hybrid resin far superior to general purpose polyester (what 95% of kit car parts are made from) and even it will distort a little. Epoxy cured at a high temp in a vacuum or autoclave would work but then it would be cheaper to buy oe parts. I think there are some paints out there that could fit your need. Single stage can be made to look like plastic better than base/clear in my opinion. There are also specialty products like SEM and I think UPOL makes some that dealers use to recondition black trim parts to look like new. I have used SEM trim black in the aerosol can and it works well. It is a used car lot favorite.
    Thanks for the info, very helpful

Over the years I have refinished steering wheels that needed to look like molded plastic.

First put a coat of color on your part.

Mix a little of your left over color with some clearcoat and apply about 4 to 6 coats.

The finished part will have that plastic transparrent look.

(obviously, you must use a spray gun and not spray cans.)