Thread: Fiberglass curing

Fiberglass curing

Would it be a good idea to lay my fiberglass panels outside on the hot days for about a month so they can cure? Will the heat distort the shape of the panels? Basically I want to panels to be as cured as possible so when I sand and fill them they will be that way forever.

Re: Fiberglass curing

Faker, contrary to popular belief not all fiberglass is the same. What you are concerned about is post-cure warp or distortion. Cheap GP (general pupose) ortho resin has a fairly high shrinkage and some post cure issues and it is best to leave it out in the sun for some time to let it finish doing what it is going to do, don't forget to support it. Now better resins like vinylester, or hybrids like an ISO/DCPD is pretty much stable after 24 hours in the mold. It is more expensive but worth it when you park your car out in the sun on a 100degF day. I don't know what your parts were molded with but some time to stablize will not hurt.

It wouldn't hurt to do so; & it'll help cook-off any trapped solvent gases.

You are asking for trouble if you put a unsupported panel in the sun, we use Encore 30 resin this is a very high standard resin, that cures in a day, in 5 days it has cured 95 %. Fibreglass never 100% cures it s continuously curing its last 5% all its life, even after 20 years it is still not 100% cured. Fibreglass is called GRP, glass reinforced plastic. If you put unsupported plastic in the sun it will bend the same as GRP. What I am saying is DO NOT DO IT unless you want bent panels. Even after 20 years of curing and you twist a panel, keep it twisted for a week and it will stay in that twisted shape. The sun will help it twist as it would not be supported in the correct way. Evan sporting a GRP panel in the shade is very important, you have to put it where it wants to be not letting it twist in any way and not putting things on it.

um, I still stand behind what I posted. If your parts are thin or deflect easily you need to support them in the correct shape. They will continue to shrink and it is according to the type of resin. The ISO/DCPD that some of us use is ready for paint in a couple of days. It is almost twice as expensive as general purpose ortho.

Quote Originally Posted by bartman
    um, I still stand behind what I posted. If your parts are thin or deflect easily you need to support them in the correct shape. They will continue to shrink and it is according to the type of resin. The ISO/DCPD that some of us use is ready for paint in a couple of days. It is almost twice as expensive as general purpose ortho.
    I was agreeing with your comment I am just concerned the panels will not be supported correctly, the only correct way would be on the car so maybe after they are fitted then put it in the sun before paint for a couple of weeks

Ok, I read you loud and clear! I was trying to get a jump, I want to give the panels to the body men so they can sand and fill and sand and fill and sand and fill until the thing is as smooth as glass! If it practically cured now I will have them make these panels like glass in the time being!

Extreme can you recomend a good supllier of fibreglass products, currently iam thinking of thinking of using http://www.ecfibreglasssupplies.co.uk/store/
    but if you know of another supplier would be grateful.
    Also what resin do you recomend and is there a difference in the fibreglass matt you use.
    is there a diffent resin for mould making and what is a good release agent to use when making moulds.
    i was thinking of using either honey wax or tri wax , or a pva release agent?
    not shure as there is so much to chosse from.
    www.lazymansguideto.com<br /><br />The Lazy Way To Learn