Thread: have some questions on custom fiberglass techniques

have some questions on custom fiberglass techniques

so i am reaching out to the amazing amount of skill and knowledge on here to help steer me in the right direction. How do you get the same dimensions from side to side when working on a one off custom designed body using the foam and non cnc method. I understand the principle but i dont understand the contours and compound curves. I saw in one photo what looked like a pattern tool that had sections of sliding finger that contoured to the shape of the body. I assume this is for comparison to the other side, etc. this is for a slight rebody of an existing car. It is my baby step into learning this art and technique. The worst i will do is itch and waste a little bit of blue foam and time. Some of the projects on here are amazing.

Re: have some questions on custom fiberglass techniques

Contour Gauge

Quote Originally Posted by kinglikeprince
    Contour Gauge

This gauge can help you a lot, you should do one side first, when youre completely satisfied with it, then copy it to the other side with a tool like this.
    I have one, but it was too small for the curves of my project, so I did one for myself, using bike spokes, 2 pieces of wood and some foam, now I have 12" or 24" if I join the 2 I made.

I will post pictures of it when I get back to my city.

Best regards

JELP

Hi,
    here is the picture as promised.
    Sorry for the delay, but Im studying and certifying in stainless steel welding and processes. and its taking all my day, when I return home I dont want to work anymore. :

this is a very primitive tool made by myself just to get some curves on a model that was giving me a headache.
    I made it with 2 pieces of MDF, 2 screws, bike spokes, and the adhesive foam (the one used in aluminum windows and doors to seal).
    I made grooves each cm, so the spoke could move in the same direction without getting closer to the next one,, added the adhesive foam, to tight them up, joined it with 2 screws and started measuring curves.

Im pretty sure you can improve it, because this one tends to move the central spokes, Im going to add a third screw in the middle trying to solve this problem.

Hope it helps you.

by the way, you can join 2 or more, and make a larger one. ;D