Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trans Am Concept Car

Trans Am Concept Car

I am new to this forum and to the whole kit car world. I restore muscle cars and have been into paint and body for about 2 years. I saw this car and thought it looked pretty cool and wished that I could have one. I ran across a website where a guy took the frame and chasis of a wrecked car and poured foam all over it and then sculpted it into a really cool looking concept car, and that's how I ended up here.

I have read through a lot of posts, and tried searching which didn't work very well, and now I have some questions. If I wanted to build this car, I suppose it would be best for me to find a car and build on top of that since I don't have a lot of experience. I see that some people use computer programs to come up with 3D images and scale models, would I want to do that? I am not looking to start this project right away because I am wanting to save up quite a bit of money and do it right. Just want to start getting prepared. I want the exterior to look like the picture and want to completely do something custom on the interior. I am wanting to build the car for performance as well, not just looks (500+ hp) I guess I am really just looking for advice on where to start. If you guys were going to do this, give me a rough idea of how you would do it.

Thanks

Re: Trans Am Concept Car

That's a really cool looking car. Do you know if Pontiac is going to build that? I like the looks of the new Challenger to.

Quote Originally Posted by gdub25

I am new to this forum and to the whole kit car world. I restore muscle cars and have been into paint and body for about 2 years. I saw this car and thought it looked pretty cool and wished that I could have one. I ran across a website where a guy took the frame and chasis of a wrecked car and poured foam all over it and then sculpted it into a really cool looking concept car, and that's how I ended up here.

I have read through a lot of posts, and tried searching which didn't work very well, and now I have some questions. If I wanted to build this car, I suppose it would be best for me to find a car and build on top of that since I don't have a lot of experience. I see that some people use computer programs to come up with 3D images and scale models, would I want to do that? I am not looking to start this project right away because I am wanting to save up quite a bit of money and do it right. Just want to start getting prepared. I want the exterior to look like the picture and want to completely do something custom on the interior. I am wanting to build the car for performance as well, not just looks (500+ hp) I guess I am really just looking for advice on where to start. If you guys were going to do this, give me a rough idea of how you would do it.

Thanks
    ]

Could you link to the project to which you are referring.

gdub25 is talking about this... http://sasisa.ru/2008/05/29/novyy_di..._43_foto_.html
    I sent gdub over to this forum because I know that many of you guys are doing "original builds" off and on. I'm more of a traditional kit car builder still at this stage of my life but I've seen a lot of creative stuff here that might get him pointed in the right direction. Sure would be neat to see a new black Trans Am with an LS3 motor in it wouldn't it?

Yeah, it does resemble the new Challenger and the new Camaros. I am hoping that I can use those cars to look at and get measurements and references from, maybe even reproduction parts. But like I said, I have never done this before and was going to see if some guys here would suggest that I do something like that or point me in a different direction.

Everything that I have heard says that Pontiac is not going to build this car. I just recently read something that said that it was "official" and the car was definitely not going to be made to compete with the new Camaro and Challenger.

DarrelK has the link right. Would something like this be the route for me? Oh, and DarrelK, I was thinking of going with the LS6 like in the new Corvette Z06 and the Bert Reynolds Trans Am.

Yeah, LS6 or any of the LS series motors are fine for something like that Trans Am build. It is a shame GM couldn't move forward with a Pontiac version of that new Camaro but the bean counters just couldn't justify it. You know, it almost seems like this set-up could be offered as a "body styling kit" in the aftermarket. Hmmm... special hood, rockers, grill, hmmmmm....

It is hard to tell from this view but this version "looks" closer to the 67 - 69 camaro then the to 70's T/A. Anyway, how I would go about doing this is to find a car that has as close of a profile as this one. By that I mean, similar wheel base, overall shape, width etc. Then from there take off what is not close and one way to do it is to sculp it from foam and then pull a mold. Another way is to hire a 3D designer to convert your chassis into this car and then carve out the pieces like a few have done on here. If you cant find something close then I would pick a good car as a donor, like the fiero, and be prepared to cut and shape it to fit your needs. To be honest, a project like this is HUGE and will take years to complete but can be done if you set your mind to it. Another option I ust thought of would be to take a 78 T/A annd then modernize it to make it look like a 2009 or something like that by removing the chrome, rounding some of the curves to be less square etc... It wont be exact to this concept but is the easiest choice of them all and could be very nice once completed. That is what Boyd Coddington did with a 67 or 68 mustang and it came out amazing!.... There was also some show on recently that rebuilt the 78 T/A for Burt Renyolds and really pumped up the performance...

Well to be honest, if it were me wanting to build this car. because the Trans Am in that picture looks A LOT like the new Camaro, or Challenger, I would buy the new Camaro or Challenger and make it look like the car you want. It would be expensive... But you pretty much have the exact looking car already. Then its just fabricating it to look more like the Trans AM in your picture. Just my 02 worth.

Just buy a black 09 Camaro, put a 70's Firebird decal on the hood, and make a new front bumper out of fiberglass. Seems like a pretty straightforward project; the biggest cost would be the donor - the 09 Camaro's are supposed to be on the lot in January.

Quote Originally Posted by RHK
    Just buy a black 09 Camaro, put a 70's Firebird decal on the hood, and make a new front bumper out of fiberglass. Seems like a pretty straightforward project; the biggest cost would be the donor - the 09 Camaro's are supposed to be on the lot in January.
    Thats would be the best way to replicate this car.. If you were to make a T/A kit for the new Camaro you could probably sell a few kits.. Another thing is you might be able to try is make a convertable based on a different donar for cheaper. That would be a cool car and a good way to hide the difficult to replicate roof/window line.