Thread: question for the guru's

question for the guru's

I am looking to get into the kit car world. I have done extensive fabrications with electrical and interior work. I am also very familiar around engine work. I don't have alot of welding or metal work experience.

What I am currently looking at is a replica Diablo Roadster or a Ferrari 355. I am leaning a little towards the Diablo. My plans are to drop the equipment from a totaled Firebird or Camaro into it, the 3.8L with a 5 speed. I am also looking at a custom N* system. I was also planning on having a custom tube frame built for it. For kits I am looking at are at www.exoticbodies.com, www.shelbycustom.com, www.ifgonline.com.

My questions to every one here are...

1) Which model of car would people go with, and why?
    2) Engine recomendations?
    3) Has anyone had problems with handling when extending the fiero frame?
    4) Which kit have people used and would recommend?
    5) I have seen the http://www.lamborghinireplica.com/TheBook.htm , does anyone have it? Or are there any other good reference books out there?

Thanks to everyone who can provide any input.

Re: question for the guru's

Personally, I went with the Countach because it has been a dream to me since I was 8. Now that I have one..... I can see myself persuing another Lambo at some point. The Roadster has really got my attention since I have compaired it to the Countach. I have modified my Countach windows so I can pop the whole window assembly out whenever I want at ease. This is where the Roadster has improved. The roadster targa top and roll down windows must be an incredibly fun car to drive!!!! I am wanting a melinieum grey (or silver) Roadster.

Engine recomendations.......? Do you have to ask? You know BIGGER IS BETTER and in this case, FASTER too! Of course I only have the 2.8L V6 in mine but I can light up my big 345 tires and run low 15's - high 14's in the 1/4. 0-60 in 6.5. A light car doesn't take much to push it.

Mine is a stretched Fiero..... Handles like a Countach and nothing less. Would be even better if I had Pirelli's on there because the Yokohamas tend to slide on tight curvs. I put my passengers against my glass when I take turns in that car! Like nothing else!

My kit was manufactured and built by Euro-Works. I believe to be one of the best for the Countach models. I have seen alot of nice Diablo manufacturers out there that seem to be better than Euro-Works on that end.
    Good Luck! -FROG-

I am looking to get into the kit car world. *I have done extensive fabrications with electrical and interior work. *I am also very familiar around engine work. *I don't have alot of welding or metal work experience.

What I am currently looking at is a replica Diablo Roadster or a Ferrari 355. I am leaning a little towards the Diablo. *My plans are to drop the equipment from a totaled Firebird or Camaro into it, the 3.8L with a 5 speed. I am also looking at a custom N* system. I was also planning on having a custom tube frame built for it. *For kits I am looking at are at www.exoticbodies.com, www.shelbycustom.com, www.ifgonline.com.

My questions to every one here are...

1) Which model of car would people go with, and why?
    2) Engine recomendations?
    3) Has anyone had problems with handling when extending the fiero frame?
    4) Which kit have people used and would recommend?
    5) I have seen the http://www.lamborghinireplica.com/TheBook.htm , does anyone have it? Or are there any other good reference books out there?

Thanks to everyone who can provide any input.
    All i can recomend is an engine and that would be the 4.9L Caddy V8. It's light and hauls like nothing i've ever been in

It cost me $750 for a 4.9L with less then 80 000K and a new getrag 5 speed...just an example on how inexpensive they are. I'd suggest them because they're light and work well Carbed and in EFI mode. Ither or they're the BEST bang for buck that i know of

Any other q's about it...PM me

Thanks
    Steven Rossi<br />

I'm currently looking to getting into the Kit Car Industry as well, and I've been pondering the same questions as you. Diablo or F355? From what I've been seeing, NEITHER is going to be anything that even remotely resembles simple. I really love the Roadster ... No offence, FROG. Your Countach is sweet, but I'm looking for a few more creature comforts. Such as windows that I can roll down! I live down here, too. ;D

As nice as the Diablos are, though, these F355's are starting to look pretty good. My only thing is, I've always wanted to have the Lambo doors. Something about them just makes me all warm and squishy inside.

Another plus to the F355 is, apparently, the Diablo replicas are the most difficult kits out there to build. After looking through Dale's build site, http://www.lambobuilder.com/ I tend to agree with this. Personaly, I don't want to screw up a $20K kit. And I don't want to spen $20K on a kit, and have it take up space in my garage for the next 5 years before I throw in the towel, and sell it incomplete.

I just don't know...

Major

I have an Exotic Rebodies Countach 25th kit, Its a well made kit and has good glass work. There diablo is less $$$ than most companys, But it is just the fiberglass body parts!! You will need to source out all the parts you will need to complete it. There windows are non functioning But that can be changed. There customer service has been good though. You must have a true passion for the lambos, To see them through till there finished. There are so many choices for engines out there, I personally went with the caddy 4.9 in my car for many different reasons. Just about any engine is possible with the right amount of $'s though.The SBC's are a good choice too, Hope this helps.

Trev,

I looooooooooooooove the 355's. There's a pic on my website of a real one that I druel over every time I look at it. I friggin lost the guys info and can't contact him here. I set up cruises and events and REALLY want to invite him. Good luck with your decision. You can always buy one pre built! I did. Look on ebay and do searches for Kit Cars...